Meetings of Learned Societies.

The nineteenth annual meeting of the Modern Language Association of America, held in Cambridge on December 26, 27 and 28, was opened on the afternoon of the 26 by President Eliot's address of welcome. Among the six papers that followed was that of Dr. J. A. Walz entitled, "Three Swabian Journalists and the American Revolution." Professor G. H. Grandgent spoke on "Cato and Elijah." At an extra session in the evening, Professor E. S. Sheldon, president of the association, delivered the presidential address on the subject, "Practical Philology." On Friday Dr. W. H. Schofield and Mr. P. C. Hoyt read papers treating of the home of King Harn and of Sir Tristram, and reached the conclusion that both were probably born on the Isle of Man.

Among the papers read on Saturday was one by Dr. J. F. Coar, dealing with "Friedrich Hebbel and the Problem of Inner Form."

The association elected the following officers for 1902: President, Professor J. W. Bright, Johns Hopkins; secretary, Professor C. H. Grandgent, Harvard; treasurer, Professor H. C. G. von Jagemann, Harvard.

The American Dialect Society held its annual business meeting on Saturday morning, when reports were made of the work of the officers during the past year. Professor C. H. Grandgent was elected a member of the auditing committee.

At the business meeting of the American Historical Society in Washington on December 31, Professor A. L. Lowell was elected a member of the executive council.

At a business meeting of the American Astronomical and Astrophysical Society, which was also held in Washington on Tuesday, Professor E. C. Pickering was elected to the executive council.