GOOD FOOTBALL PRACTICE

Spirited Offense.--First Team Scored Twice.--Punting Better.

The practice of the University football team yesterday was characterized by hard and spirited play and faster starting. The first team scored twice in a 16-minute period, and the second eleven was able to gain first down only once, and was repeatedly thrown back for losses. The right side of the line was the weak place on the first team, owing to the absence of Squires and Kersburg, but Fultz played much better than usual, and was well supported by the rush line. The offensive work of the first eleven was spirited and snappy leaving little to be desired, and although the two touchdowns were scored partly as a result of blocked kicks, both were well-earned. Before the scrimmage the squad was given work in taking starts similar to that first tried on Monday, and both the backs and ends gave evidence of the results of this drill by the speed and snap with which they ran. Hanley, who was back in the game at fullback, hit the line hard and opened the way for decisive gains. Wendell used excellent judgment in running with the ball, and Nesmith was able to make long gains through Brill, whose work in the line has shown steady improvement. Nichols, who was in the scrimmage for the first time this year, played a strong game. The punting was very encouraging, especially that of Burr, who may later be used in the line. Fumbling has not yet been entirely eliminated but there was much less than during the past few days.

Parker kicked off, and after a fumble, the second team succeeded in regaining the ball on the 35-yard line. Unable to gain by rushing, Myers dropped back to punt, but the pass was low and Brill broke through and blocked the kick, McFadon falling on the ball on the 15-yard line. After three rushes, Carr carried the ball over for a touchdown. Parker kicked the goal.

Coach Brown kicked off for the second team to Wendell, who ran back 10 yards to the 20-yard line. A run around right end added eight yards. On the next play the ball was carried outside on the 31-yard line. Brill punted to Gilder, who made a reckless hurdle, but failed to get through the line. The second gained its distance once, but was then held for downs on the 50-yard line. Foster punted to Gilder, who made a splendid catch. An exchange of kicks by Burr and Brill netted about 15 yards for the second eleven, but the first team immediately held for downs. Wendell made good gains, but Somes fumbled on the 32-yard line. Burr went in to punt for the second team, but the pass was poor and the line blocked the kick, Hanley falling on the ball on the 17-yard line. Nichols made five yards on a cross buck, and in three rushes Nesmith carried the ball over for a touchdown, Cunniff kicking the goal. Coach Brown again kicked off and Nesmith, receiving the ball on the 10-yard line, ran back 35 yards, by clever dodging. Nichols punted outside on the second team's 42-yard line and time was called.

The line-up:FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN.Spear, l.e.  r.e., BlairBrill, l.t.  r.t., Pell, PaulParker, Davy, l.g.  r.g., McLeodCunniff, c.  c., HorkheimerMcFadon, r.g.  l.g., BrownFultz, r.t.  l.t., IrvingMcDonald, Bartels, r.e.  l.e., InchesStarr, q.b.  q.b., Gilder, KempnerFoster, Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Harding, GreenebaumWendell, Nesmith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., MyersCarr, Somes, Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Jones, Dearbor