Hyde Lectures of Cercle Francais

M. Anatole Le Braz, professor of Celtic literature at the University of Rennes, has been selected to deliver the Hyde Lectures of the Cercle Francais for the ensuing year. M. Le Braz is a native of Brittany, and is a profound student of the customs and of the Celtic literature of the province. He has contributed largely to the French daily papers and to several of the leading periodicals. He has produced, moreover, a number of books, several of which, have been crowned by the French Academy. The most important works, which he has produced are: "La Chanson de la Bretagne," "La Legende de la Mort en Basse Bretagne," and "Paques d' Islande."

The series of lectures he is to deliver before the Cercle Francais will cover the ground of his studies and researches very completely and offer a varied choice of subjects relating to the land of Brittany. The following is a list of the lectures:

Wednesday, February 7.--"La Bretagne; la terre-et la Race."

Friday, February 9--"Le genie breton. Les rapports avec le genie des autres peuples celtiques."

Monday, February 12--"Caracteres essentiels de la legende, de la poesie, et du theatre celtique en Bretagne."

Wednesday, February 14--"Le role de la Bretagne dans l'histoire de la nationalite francaise et de la tradition celtique dans l'esprit francais."

Friday, February 16--"De la part de la Bretagne et des influences celtiques dans la formation du genie de Chateanbriand."

Monday, February 19--"De la part de l'element breton dans la genie de Renan."

Wednesday, February 21--"La Bretagne chez les grands ecrivains du XIX siecle. Michelet, Flaubert, Taine, Loti."

Friday, February 23--"La Renaissance celtique en Europe; son influence sur la literature francaise contemporaine."

These lectures are maintained on the interest of a fund of $30,000 established in 1898 by J. H. Hyde '98.