SCRIMMAGE LENGTHENED

First Team Played Fast and Hard.--2nd Held Well.--Less Fumbling.

With more of the regular players, back in the line-up, the scrimmage yesterday afternoon, the longest so far this season, showed great improvement over the work on Monday. There was much less fumbling and the offense played fast and hard, getting off together nearly every time. Although scored on twice in two 14-minute halves, the second eleven held fairly well and made first down several times. Davie was tried at fullback and ran well with the ball. Knowlton played tackle on the first eleven, and his defensive work was very good. Ball, whose elbow was dislocated in the early fall practice, was in the scrimmage for the first time.

The preliminary work was very thorough, and began with falling on the ball for most of the squad. This was followed by a long punting practice. The end went down under the kicks, but missed a great many tackles. For the line men the work consisted of practising starts and charging with the line-bucking machine. Brill was given a rest. Fraser was out again and Squires and Peirce were given light work. Hall was out and did some punting.

Leonard received the first kick-off in the scrimmage on the 3-yard line, and ran back 27 yards. On two rushes he gained five yards and Burr punted. Morris fumbled, but Lockwood recovered the ball on the second eleven's 30-yard line. The first eleven was penalized for holding and, after the second team had made first down once, held for downs on the 45-yard line. Nesmith gained 10 yards on an end run, and Carr made a short gain through the line. The first eleven was then penalized for offside play and a forward pass. Nesmith tried a goal from the field, but the kick was low and Morris secured the ball on the 5-yard line. Shohl and Davie netted a first down and Lockwood gained 25 yards on a fake kick. The first eleven gained possession of the ball--by a fumble on the 49-yard, line and, aided by Nesmith's 20-yard end run, carried the ball over, Somes making the touchdown. White kicked the goal.

The second touchdown was scored after a very few plays. Burr kicked off over the goal line and Starr ran Lockwood's punt-out from the centre of the field of the 43-yard line. Foster made a thirty yard run, but the first eleven lost the ball on downs on the 7-yard line, only to recover it, however, after a loss of only three yards. Following a few rushes, Spear went over for the touchdown. Starr punted out and Barr, kicked the goal.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Whitman, Hurd, l.e.  r.e., Lovering Spear, l.t.  r.t., Inches Burr, l.g.  r.g., Stephenson White, c.  c., Irving Kersburg, r.g.  l.g., Brown Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Gilmore, Harrison Macdonald, Grant, r.e.  l.e., Ball Harr, q.b.  q.b., Morris Leonard, Foster, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Heilborn, Shohl Nesmith, Snyder, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Lockwood Carr, Somes, f.b.  f.b., Davie, Mason