DEFENSIVE WORK IMPROVED

Offense Uneven.--First Team Lost Ball Three Times on Downs.

In the football practice yesterday afternoon the defensive work was better than it has been for some time, but the offense was very ragged and uneven, evidenced by the fact that the first team lost the ball three times on downs, once on the 3-yard line. The scrimmage was unusually long, the last hard work before the game with Brown tomorrow. There were two halves of 15 and 22 minutes, respectively, and for the second half the Stadium was opened. Three touchdowns were scored by the first eleven. Long gains on end runs were made by Nesmith and Wendell, and by Brill's line plunges. Guild and Peirce were back again in the line-up of the first eleven and the former played an excellent game at full back.

The first eleven kicked off to the 20-yard line and Coach Brown punted back to the centre of the field. By short and steady gains the first eleven carried the ball down the field to the 3-yard line, where it was lost on downs. Brown punted to Starr, who ran back 13 yards to the 22-yard line. The ball was again rushed down the field and Knowlton carried it over for a touchdown. Burr kicked the goal.

In the second half, Guild received the kickoff on the 10-yard line and by clever running carried it back 20 yards. Leonard made a decisive gain on a fake kick and Nesmith circled right end for 35 yards. By steady rushes, short, with the exception of Brill's 15-yard gain through the line, a second touchdown was scored, Nesmith going over. Burr again kicked the goal.

Starr ran the kickoff to the 28-yard line. Wendell gained 12 yards around right end with Starr forming his interference. Burr punted to the 38-yard line and Brown's return punt was blocked by Burr and Guild, Wendell getting the ball on the 20-yard line. The first eleven failed to start together and this ragged work gave the second team the ball on downs. Timmins gained 15 yards on a fake kick and an exchange of punts followed. Leonard fumbled Brown's punt, but Newhall recovered the ball and ran it 12 yards. After advancing the ball 10 yards the first eleven was held for the third time for downs. Brown punted from position to Newhall, who used excellent judgment in running and carried the ball 35 yards straight through the line. Wendell followed with a 30-yard run around right end and after a few rushes Somes made the touchdown. Brill kicked the goal.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Bartels, Bird, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff, Lovering Brill, l.t.  r.t., Inches, Irving Burr, McFadon, l.g.  r.g., McLeod White, c.  c., Barney Kersburg, Peirce, r.g.  l.g., Brown Knowlton, Spear, r.t.  l.t., Irving, Harrison, Gilmore Macdonald, Whitman, r.e.  l.e., Blagden, Sargent, Ball Starr, Newhall, q.b.  q.b., Quigley, Timmins Leonard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Blair, Shohl Nesmith, Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Heilborn Paul, Guild, Somes, f.b.  f.b., Davie