Emerson Hall Nearing Completion

Emerson Hall, the new building to be used by the Department of Philosophy, is now nearing completion and, it is hoped, will be ready for use in December.

The building is 143 feet long by 73 1-2 feet wide, three stories high, and will cost, with furnishings, about $200,000. The general type of architecture is Greek and the building materials, brick and limestone, correspond in effect with Robinson Hall. On the west, fronting the quadrangle, as in Robinson Hall, there is an imposing entrance, set in receding porch and flanked by columns two stories in height.

The interior of the building will be finished mainly in oak. On the first floor, the east wing will be occupied by a large lecture room, with a seating capacity of 360, and the west wing by two smaller lecture rooms. In the rear, opposite the main entrance, there will be a large philosophical library, and on either side of the vestibule, seminar and department rooms. The second floor will contain the museum, library, study and lecture room of the division of ethics of the social questions, the psychological library, and two class rooms. On the third floor there will be a psychological lecture room, a storage room, and twenty-two laboratories. Three of the rooms will be finished entirely in black for use in optical experiments.

The exterior of the building is entirely completed. In the interior the iron stairways and rough woodwork, and all the decorative plastering have been finished. On the third floor the windows and finished wood-work have been put in, but are still unstained. The flooring of the two upper stories will consist of a thin layer of cement spread over the rough flooring and covered by dark pine. The purpose of the cement is to deaden sound. Almost all of the furniture, consisting of quartered oak book cases, exhibition cases, tables and chairs, has been ordered, but none of it has yet arrived.

The plumbing is finished. The electric wiring has all been put in, and in the psychological department on the third floor of the hall a system of wires has been so arranged that direct and alternating currents may be obtained for use in connection with a special apparatus for research work.

The Hall will have no formal opening, but in the latter part of December the American Philosophical Association, the American Psychological Association and the Southern Psychological Association will hold their annual meeting there.