COURSES IN BROOKS HOUSE

Lecture and Conference Courses and Group Classes to Start Next Week.

Eleven regular courses are offered in Phillips Brooks House this year, and the first meetings of all but one will be held next week, at times and places given below, or to be announced later in the CRIMSON.

Of the following four courses, the first two have been given for the past two years, and the last two are offered now for the first time.

Dean Hodges' Course.

Historical Books of the Old Testament. Rev. George Hodges, D.D., Dean of the Episcopal Theological School.

Tuesday evenings at 7, Brooks Parlor. This course deals with the historical books of the Old Testament chronologically in the light of modern literary and historical studies.

Mr. Copeland's Course.

Course in the Reading of the English Bible. Mr. C. T. Copeland. The first meeting of this course will come in November and will be announced in the CRIMSON.

Dr. Worcester's Course.

Fundamental Beliefs of the Christian Religion. The Rev. Elwood Worcester, Ph.D., Rector of Emmanuel Church, Boston. Friday evenings at 7.30. Noble Room.

This course is intended for men who, regardless of their religious belief, desire to study the doctrines of Christianity in a manner at once inclusive in its scope and in its appeal, thorough in its effort to consider the fundamental and essential elements of the Christian religion, and yet sympathetic toward the views of all who honestly differ.

The Reasonableness of Christianity.

Rev. Samuel McComb, D.D., curate at Emmanuel Church, Boston. Time and place of meeting to be announced later.

Dr. McComb is especially fitted to lead a course of this nature, having conducted a large and very successful course of the same kind at Glasgow, Scotland. He desires to treat the subject rather by means of informal conferences than by set lectures, and hopes that it may afford an opportunity for free discussion of the claim which Christianity may reasonably make on educated, thinking men of the present day.

The following partial list of subjects will serve to indicate the general character of this course: The Place of Christianity in the Religious History of the World; How Far are the Gospels Historical? What is Christianity? The Resurrection of Christ; Christianity and Science; Christianity and the Social Problem.

Of the following four courses, the first and third are new, the second and fourth have been given before.

Problems of the Modern City.

Dr. W. B. Munro of the Government department, Monday evenings at 7, Brooks Parlor. Among the topics discussed will be: The economic and political causes of urban concentration; the rural exodus and its causes; immigration and the municipal problems arising from congestion; the sociology of the slum; the political exploitation of the alien immi- grant; naturalization and municipal politics; the municipal "boss," his methods and the sources of his power; municipal problems arising from the identification of state and civic political parties; etc., etc. These lectures will form a consistent whole, so that a regular attendance is desired.

General Survey of Missions.

Professor E. C. Moore, Parkman Professor of Theology. Friday evenings 7--7.45, Shepard Room. A course in the general problems of missions. It discusses the different branches of missionary activity, the special problems in different countries, and gives a general account of what missionary work is accomplishing.

Missions and Social Problems.

A course for informal discussion, studying the sociological aspect of missions. The social problems of the non-Christian nations, and the different evils of their civilizations will be discussed; and various methods of social betterment, and the ability of Christianity to meet the problems will be considered. Information as to place and time, may be obtained from T. F. Savage '06, Holworthy 9.

Studies in Church Missions.

Leader, H. M. B. Ogilby '07. Thursday evenings at 7, Noble Room. A class for the study of the missions of the Episcopal Church.

Other Courses.

Besides the above general courses, three courses in Bible Study are offered, each of which will be organized under what is known as the "group" system,--that is, one class in each will meet at a set time in Brooks House, and other classes of six or eight men each will meet in dormitories or private houses, at times convenient to themselves. Of these three courses, one in the Life of Christ will meet Wednesdays at 7, in the Shepard Room. Leader, J. M. Groves '05. The second, Studies in the Acts and Epistles, will meet Tuesdays at 7, in the Shepard Room. Leader, W. H. Keeling '07. The third, The Teachings of Christ, will meet Thursdays at 7, in the Shepard Room. Leader, C. H. Sutherland '06. These classes will use, besides the text of the Bible itself, textbooks by the best modern authorities.

In addition to the regular courses outlined above, conferences on social service work will be held from time to time, for the benefit of men engaged or interested in any form of philanthropic work. These meetings will be addressed by settlement workers from Boston and other cities. A series of doctrinal conferences will be conducted by the Catholic Club; announcement of these will be made later in the CRIMSON.

Enrolment in any of the above courses, or further information in regard to them, may be obtained from W. H. Keeling '07, or J. M. Groves '05, Phillips Brooks House