HARVARD, 22; MAINE, 0

Three Touchdowns Scored in First Half.--Maine Team Light But Aggressive.

The University football team won its third victory of the season Saturday afternoon by defeating the University of Maine by the score of 22 to 0.

The game was encouraging in that the Maine team was practically unable to gain through the Harvard line, and that the University team made steady and decisive gains. Harvard was held for downs only twice, both times as a result of heavy penalties. In both cases the University lost almost certain touchdowns. The tackles were given the ball more frequently than in the previous games and made substantial gains whenever they were called upon. There were three good chances for goals from the field-twice when Harvard was held for downs, and again near the end of the second half when Leonard punted less than 40 yards over Maine's goal line.

The ends were slow in getting down the field and did not carry out the advantage gained by Parker's splendid kickoffs. Hall's punting was very erratic, but he covered his end much better than in any previous game, and made several clean tackles. Montgomery did the best work of anyone on the team. The openings for many of the longest gains were made by him; he kept his feet well in running with the ball and blocked a kick near Maine's goal line, making it easy for Harvard to score the third touchdown. He was fast in getting down the field, beating O'Brien nearly every time. Early in the game Fultz replaced Squires, who received an injury to his hand. Fultz played a reliable game and made good gains when he ran with the ball. Carr, who played in his first game as fullback, was somewhat awkward in running with the ball, but helped the other runners along well. Kersburg played a fast game at guard and stopped several plays by breaking through the line.

The Maine team, with a few exceptions, were very light, but nevertheless played a very aggressive game. The left side of the line in particular offered a strong resistance to their opponent's attack. The fumbling behind the line was very costly as the Maine ends were never able to recover the ball for their side. Maine gained first down but once near the beginning of the game.

Maine's kickoff was poor and Kersburg got the ball on the 40-yard line. Wendell and Foster gained only a yard on two end runs and Hall punted to Minor on Maine's 38-yard line. Maine fumbled and Wendell secured the ball on the 43-yard line. He then made eight yards through right tackle and Carr followed with five through right guard. Foster gained eight yards through right tackle and Wendell added five through left guard. Carr gained two yards through left guard, but Harvard was penalized 15 yards for holding. Wendell fumbled the pass, but White fell on the ball. Hall then punted, but the ball went almost straight up in the air, falling outside on the 23-yard line. Maine gained first down but fumbled and Parker secured the ball on the 25-yard line. Wen- dell made 15 yards on an end run. Carr added four more and from the 6-yard line Foster went through left tackle for the first touchdown. White missed the goal.

Parker kicked off to Minor, who received the ball on the 8-yard line and ran back to the 22-yard line, where Hall tackled him. Failing to gain Minor punted to Newhall, who received the ball on the 50-yard line and ran back six yards. From there the ball was carried by straight rushes for a touchdown, the 44 yards being made in 11 plays. Carr went over for the touchdown and White kicked the goal.

Brimmer received Parker's kickoff on the 13-yard line and ran back to the 30-yard line, where Hall threw him with a fierce tackle. Maine lost a yard on a quarterback run, and failing to gain on the next play, Minor dropped back to punt. Montgomery broke through and blocked the kick, the ball going to Harvard on the 12-yard line. Leonard gained two yards through left tackle and Wendell carried the ball through right tackle to the 4-yard line. Carr made two yards through right guard and Leonard was sent through the same place for the third touchdown. White missed an easy goal.

Parker kicked off to Swift, who after fumbling the ball was tackled on the 3-yard line. Maine punted but was penalized 15 yards for interefering with O'Brien's attempt to make a fair catch, the ball being placed on the 11-yard line. Harvard was penalized 10 yards for offside play and time was called on the 15-yard line, after Maine had succeeded, in holding for downs.

In the second half Parker's kickoff went to the goal line, but the ball was run back 16 yards. Maine was forced to punt and Burnham got the ball on the 17-yard line. Newhall fumbled but fell on the ball for a loss of two yards. Carr and Wendell made good gains and Leonard scored the last touchdown. White kicked the goal.

Parker kicked off to Higgins, who ran back ten yards, but fumbled when Hall tackled him, Wendell securing the ball for Harvard on the 20 yard line. The University team then lost an excellent opportunity to score by being penalized 15 yards for holding after having advanced the ball by steady gains to the 5 yard line. After an exchange of punts time was called with the ball back of Maine's goal line.

The summary:

HARVARD.  MAINE.O'Brien, Burnham, l.e.  r.e., TalbotMontgomery, Brill, l.t.  r.t., StoneParker, l.g.  r.g., SmithWhite, c.  c., MooreKersburg, r.g.  l.g., BearceSquires, Fultz, r.t.  l.t., ReedHall, r.e.  l.e., BurleighNewhall, q.b.  q.b., Minor, BurkeFoster, Leonard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., SwiftWendell, Nesmith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Simmons, Brimmer, Higgins Carr Somes, f.b.  f.b., Weymouth, Emer