Social Union Opens This Week

The classes at the Social Union begin this week with the exception of the dancing and the telegraphy classes which begin during the week of October 16. Between fifty and sixty classes are offered, including all subjects ordinarily taught in a high school and many subjects that are not taught in the public schools at all, such as courses in instrumental and vocal music, courses in business training, book-keeping, shorthand, typewriting and civil service. As in most evening schools, the classes are composed largely of working people, including both men and women. College men, however, may take the courses by paying the usual dues. Last year several college men took telegraphy and proceeded so well with their subject that they could have obtained positions if they had wished to. A few men also took the course in shorthand. With the exception of a few paid teachers of such subjects as above mentioned, the teachers are all college men who are willing to give up one hour a week to help others as well as for the sake of the experience it gives them. Instructors are especially needed in book-keeping, German and Spanish, and there will probably be vacancies in other lines also. Besides the classes there are entertainments given by the pupils two or three times during the year. This year the classes are divided into departments which will be in charge of the following undergraduates: M. Wertheim '06, English; L. Carroll '06, history and economics; L. Harrison '07, music; B. Hall '07, fine arts; S. K. Becker '06, mathematics; G. A. Leland '07, science; and E. J. Fraser-Campbell '06, classes in business training.

Those who wish to teach should consult J. S. Stone at 60 Brattle street, or at the Social Union, 42 Brattie street, from 7 to 8 o'clock in the evening.