FAST FOOTBALL PRACTICE

First Eleven Scored Six Times.--Knowlton in Line-Up at End.

University football practice yesterday afternoon was unusually fast and snappy, the first eleven scoring six touchdowns in two 20 minute periods. Knowlton, who has been out of practice with water on the knee, as a result of an injury in the Brown game, was in the scrimmage again. He was tried at end, and in view of his inexperience at that position, played an excellent game.

Special attention was given to the defense, which showed some very weak points last Saturday. for the purpose of strengthening this the second eleven was given the ball successively on the 40, 20, 10, and 5-yard lines. The first team held for downs the first three times, but in the fourth case, in spite of a strong resistance, the ball was finally forced ever from the five yard line, this being the second eleven's only score. This defensive work was extremely encouraging, especially when the first eleven, after being penalized for offside play and forced back to the 1-2-yard line, was able to brace and secure the ball on downs. Squires was given considerable coaching on the defense and showed the effects of this attention by continually breaking up interference and stopping plays.

The offense of the first eleven was irresistable, and four of the touchdowns were scored as a result of very long runs. Lockwood made the first score from the 40-yard line. Gilder ran the next kickoff to the 15-yard line, and from here Hurley, circling right end, made the touchdown, after a run of 95 yards. Hurley ran back the next kickoff 44 yards. Possibly the best run was made by Wendell, who received the opening kick-off of the second half and, aided by good interference, ran down the field for a touchdown. Lockwood played an excellent game at fullback. Star and Guild were out, but did not take part in the scrimmage. T. G. Meier 2nd, '04 played for a part of the scrimmage on the second team.

The line-up for the scrimmage: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Leary, Hall, O'Brien l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Brill, l.t.  r.t., Meier, Inches Burr, Peirce, l.g.  r.g., McLeod White, Cunniff, c.  c., Barney Kersburg, McFadon, r.g.  l.g., Brown Squires, r.t.  l.t., Harrison Snyder, Knowlton, r.e.  l.e., Grant Gilder, q.b.  q.b., Timmins Foster, Leonard, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Heilborn Hurley, Wendell, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Blair R. W. P. Brown Lockwood, Somes, f.b.  f.b., Mason

L. H. Leary 2L., H. R. Snyder 1L., P. C. Lockwood '07, G. deK. Gilder'08, and H. M. Gilmore '08 have been taken to the first training table. The following have been taken to the second table: B. S. Horkheimer 2L., H. R. Shurtleff '06, A. C. Blagden '06, J. S. Heilborn '06, J. S. Timmins '06, H. K. Craft '07, B. T. Stephenson '08, H. Inches '08, A. B. Mason '08.