$10,000 Bequeathed to University

By the will of the late John Bartlett h.'71 of Cambridge $10,000 is bequeathed to the University to establish the Wendell A. Willard Scholarship in memory of Rev. Samuel Willard, M.A., of the class of 1659. Willard was preaching at Groton, Massachusetts, in 1663, where he succeeded the Rev. John Miller. In 1667 he was called to the Old South Church in Boston, at which he preached many years, and did much toward relieving the suffering of those punished for witchcraft. In 1700 the General Court of Cambridge appointed him Vice-President of the College with all the powers of President, a position which he filled until his death in 1707. He was the author of over fifty-one works on religious subjects.

Ebenezer Pemberton 1691, his colleague at the Old South Church, Boston, speaks of him as follows: "In him bountiful Heaven was pleased to cause a concurrence of all those natural and acquired, moral and spiritual excellencies, which are necessary to constitute a great man, a profound divine, a very considerable scholar, and a Heavenly Christian."