INGERSOLL LECTURE

Given by Dr. Ostwald Before Large Audience on "Individuality and Immortality."

Dr. William Osler, professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins University, will deliver the Ingersoll lecture for the year this evening at 8 o'clock in the New Lecture Hall, on the subject, "Science and Immortality."

Dr. Osler graduated from McGill University in 1872, and has been successively professor of medicine at McGill and the University of Pennsylvania, and since 1889 at Johns Hopkins. He holds the degree of LL.D. from McGill, Yale, and the University of Edinburgh and Aberdeen, and is a fellow of the Royal Society and of the Royal College of Physicians, London. He is the foremost authority on internal medicine in this country, and his work on "The Principles and Practice of Medicine" is the standard text-book on the subject in the English language.

The Ingersoll lectureship was founded in 1893 by the will of Miss Caroline Haskell Ingersoll, of Keene, N. H., and provides for the delivery of a lecture each year on "The Immortality of Man," and for its publication after delivery. Thus far five lectures have been given: "Immortality and the New Theodicy," by Rev. George A. Gordon '81; "Human Immortality: Two Supposed Objections to the Doctrine," by Professor William James M.'69; "Dionysus and Immortality," by President Benjamin I. Wheeler, of the University of California; "The Conception of Immortality." by Professor Josiah Royce; and in 1900, "Life Everlasting," by Dr. John Fiske, '63.

The lecture will be open to the public.