Review of Graduates Magazine

The Graduates Magazine for December, which should have appeared a week ago, but was delayed at the bindery, is finally out today. It was due to this unexpected delay, the CRIMSON is informed, that various articles contained in the present number have recently appeared in the outside press in advance of the issue of the Magazine itself.

The present number opens with President Eliot's notable address on "The Solid Satisfactions of Life," delivered before the meeting of new students held in the Union on October 3, a word of counsel, and a view of life that may well form a part of the equipment of men entering the road of higher education for many years to come.

In the article, "From a Graduate's Window," which follows, the fact is brought home that the graduates' Magazine, particularly in the department in question, is in no way an official organ, but expresses the views of individual contributors. For the temper of the article cannot represent the attitude of any considerable number of graduates, and certainly is foreign to the feelings or the undergraduates toward our chief and most respected athletic rival.

An article on "The Teachers Endowment Fund" by J. D. Greene '96 clearly states the present condition of the fund raised last year among Harvard graduates for increasing the salaries of instructors, and the manner in which the money is to be applied.

"Religious Reform at Harvard" by O. B. Roberts '86 is very full and interesting and a rather amusing account of the struggles, especially o the undergraduates of an earlier generation, which have ultimately led to the complete abolition of compulsory attendance at religious exercises. It is a bit of Harvard history that is little known to present day undergraduates and is most instructive.

A tribute to the late Mayor Collins contains a brief account of the life of "the most eminent of the foreign-born graduates of the Harvard Law School of his generation."

Other articles are "The Mock Trial: An Old Prank," which is a sketch describing an escapade of days long gone by, reviews of some notable books by Harvard men, and a short description of Emerson Hall.

The regular departments complete a number well up to the Magazine's high standard of interest. Among these, a consideration of the enrolment figures of the University and a table of the figures for the last three years are particularly to be noted, as is also a short discussion of the feeling in the University toward football.