Subscriptions.

Communications.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The communication of Professor Coolidge on "The Athletic Financial Policy" in the CRIMSON for December 17 calls attention to a subject of much interest to the University. For many years the football and baseball teams have been more than self-supporting, but the other teams have relied upon subscriptions to pay off part of their yearly deficit, and the credit balance every year has sooner or later been used for permanent improvements of some sort. The subscription business, however, has become a nuisance. The Graduate Treasurer's reports show that the number of University teams which collect subscriptions has increased from two in 1898 to seven in 1904. Receipts from other sources have steadily increased during this time, and there is no reason to think we have yet reached the maximum. Expenses have increased, but not out of proportion to the receipts.

The following figures are taken from the Graduate Treasurer's report printed in the CRIMSON on November 16, 1904: ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION.   1902-03. Receipts,    $96,090.20 Expenses,    72,488.51     - Credit balance,    $23,601.69   1903-04. Receipts,    $112,262.39 Expenses,    79,204.88     - Credit balance,    $33,057.51

The following figures taken from the Graduate Treasurer's reports show the relation of subscriptions for University teams to the credit balance for the past five years:   Balance.  Subscriptions. 1900  $26,500.59  $6,931.71 1901  $15,990.02  $8,240.52 1902  $24,654.65  $5,716.66 1903  $23,601.69  $4,275.85 1904  $33,057.51  $5,013.58   -  - Total,  $123,804.46  $30,178.32

The credit balance for the five years without subscriptions would have been $93,626.14. Last year the credit balance exceeded the amount of subscriptions by $28,000. Evidently University subscriptions are no longer needed to support our athletics.

Two reasons may, however, be urged for their collection. One is the Stadium debt and the cost of permanent improvements not included in the annual appropriation of about $6,500. The other is the competition for managerships.

Assuming that it is desired to raise $100,000 in the next few years to pay off the Stadium debt and to greatly increase the amount of permanent improvements, at the rate of the past five years it would take four and a quarter years with subscriptions or five and a quarter without them. At the rate of last year, it would take three years with subscriptions or three years and seven months without them. Are we willing to be annoyed every year by the subscription men of seven different teams besides class teams for the sake of reducing the time it takes to raise $100,000, by seven months or a year? If we must continue to subscribe would it not be better to make one subscription in a lump sum to a permanent improvement fund?

Is a competition in canvassing for subscriptions necessary in the appointment of managers? There are no subscriptions for University football or baseball, so there are no subscription competitions for the managership of these teams. These competitions are, therefore, unnecessary.

Ability to solicit money for this or that team is not necessarily a proof of business ability. Two things may still further nullify the competitive nature of the appointment of managers on teams which still have these so-called competitions. (1). The manager in appointing his assistant may disregard the amount of money collected on the ground that the locality assigned to one candidate was better than that assigned to another. (2). His judgment as to which candidate has shown the most business ability in collecting is entirely a personal matter and he may follow it or not as he pleases. When we consider how many men have been appointed who did not head the list of candidates in the amount of their collections or who had never even been candidates for the positions to which they were appointed, we are forced to the conclusion that subscriptions as a means of competition are a failure.

But the success or failure of the competitive feature is not the important question. The question is: shall our managers continue to appoint their own successors on whatever basis they choose, or shall we consult the judgment of the University and elect them as is done in most other colleges?

The Athletic Committee was formed primarily to manage and control our athletics, and secondly to make such improvements in grounds and equipment as were necessary. To throw the minor sports, which have never been self-supporting, on their own resources; to let them work out their own salvation or perish in order that a few more dollars may be saved every year for buildings and other improvements on Soldiers Field seems change of policy unwarranted by the circumstances. 1905.