Fifth French Lecture.

M. Rene Millet gave the fifth of the Cercle Francais lectures yesterday afternoon in Sanders Theatre on "L'Occident et la Mediterranee. Les Rapports avec l'Islam avant et apres la Prise de Grenade."

Passing over the history of the past, which has been the subject of his former lectures, M. Millet took up yesterday the fate of the Arabic civilization in Spain. The history of this civilization is of particular interest to us, he said, first, because it explains how the Arabs originally planted their civilization in Spain; secondly, because it tells us how this great civilization in so short a time completely disappeared. He went on to show how the Arabs themselves and the Numidian Berberes combined to form the Arabic empire; how, for two centuries this civilization completely dominated Spain; and how, at the end of the fifteenth century, the religious reaction which had taken place among the Mohammedans in the twelfth century led finally to the fall of Grenada. In conclusion, he asserted, that it was the struggle of the Spanish fanaticism against the fanaticism of the Berberes which made so wide the gulf between the Christians and the Mohammedans.

G. A. Smith has been appointed manager of the Freshman crew.