1908 DEFEATED IN HOCKEY

University Team Won Saturday in a Spiritless Game.--Score 3 to 2.

In a close game the University hockey team defeated the Freshmen on Saturday afternoon in the Stadium rink by a score of 3 to 2. In the first half the puck was kept very largely near the Freshman goal, and only the excellent work of the Freshman defense prevented the University team from making a high score. Callaway scored once for the University team, making the only goal in this half. In the second half the Freshman forwards succeeded in keeping the puck away from their goal to a greater extent, and Rumsey and Mackay each scored once through Tyer. The University forwards exhibited better team play, and shot two goals.

The work of the University team as a whole was characterized by lack of spirit. Sard at point was ineffective and weak in the defense. Newhall at coverpoint played hard and did some effective body checking, but often failed to stop the puck by trying to cover too many men. Wilder and Pell at right and left ends neglected to follow back, and were weak in both passing and shooting. Callaway and Townsend, though quicker at following back, were inaccurate in their shooting. The stick work of all the forwards was poor and none seemed able to keep possession of the puck.

The Freshman forwards, though they played hard, were not strong in team work, and man for man were outplayed by the University forwards. Fraser-Campbell at coverpoint did the best work for the Freshmen, playing a hard offensive and defensive game. Carpenter at goal made some remarkable stops.

Score--University team, 3; Freshman team, 2. Goals--Callaway, Townsend, Wilder, Rumsey, Mackay. Referee--J. S. Lovering '03. Timekeeper--J. McMaster. Time--20-minute halves. The line-up: UNIVERSITY TEAM.  FRESHMEN. Pell, l.e.  r.e., Newhall Townsend, l.c.  r.c., Lovering Callaway, r.c.  l.c., Rumsey Wilder, r.e.  l.e., Mackay Newhall, c.p.  c.p., Fraser-Campbell Sard, p.  p., Burton Tyer, g.  g., Carpenter