GIFT OF EMPEROR

Presented to University by Dr. Lewald in Germanic Museum Last Night.

At the reception held in the Germanic Museum last evening, Dr. Theodore Lewald. German Imperial Commissioner at St. Louis on behalf of Emperor William of Germany, formally presented to the University a collection of models, charts, maps and books explaining problems of social ethics in Germany. This collection formed a part of the German exhibit at the recent St. Louis Exposition.

Dr. H. P. Walcott '58, in introducing Dr. Lewald, reviewed the history of the Germanic Museum, and referred to the gift of the Emperor as a "graphic representation of a great and important social experience."

Dr. Lewald, after expressing gratification at the unexpected success of the German exhibit at St. Louis, described the gift of the Emperor, which, he said, though not of brilliant appearance, embodied an important practical and scientific work describing the German social system. The prominent features of this system are the admirable hygienic precautions, and the system of workmen's insurance which compels every employee receiving less than a stipulated wage to invest in insurance and pensions for himself and family a certain fraction of his yearly earnings. The motto of the German code is "Love your brethren;" and for that reason it is proper that the embodiment of the German ideas should be placed in the Harvard Museum of Social Ethics. The motive of the Emperor in presenting this gift was two-fold: first, to foster closer relations between German and American economists, and secondly, to promote a social sentiment between the two leading nations of the world.

In the absence of Professor Peabody, Professor Hugo Munsterberg, as chairman of the Department of Philosophy, to which the Museum of Social Ethics belongs, accepted the gift for the University. He expressed the hope that the new philosophy building, Emerson Hall, and the Museum of Social Ethics which will be contained in it, might become the intellectual union for the scholarly activities of the University.