DR. SANDYS TONIGHT

First Lane Lecture in Fogg Lecture Room at 8 on "Petrarch and Boccaccio."

Dr. John Edwin Sandys of Cambridge, England, will give the first of the Lane lectures for this year on "The Study of Latin during the Revival of Learning in Italy" this evening at 8 o'clock in the Fogg Lecture Room. The subject of the lecture will be "Petrarch and Boccaccio."

Dr. Sandys has been fellow and lecturer of St. John's College since 1867, public orator in the University of Cambridge since 1876, and holds an honorary degree from the University of Dublin. He is a brilliant classical scholar and has written or edited many works, among which are "Euripides' 'Bacchae'," "Clcero's 'Orator'," and "Aristotle's 'Constitution of Athens'." One of Dr. Sandys' most recent works is a "History of Classical Scholarship from the Athenian Age to the End of the Middle Ages." He has been a contributor to the Classical Review since 1887.

There will be five more lectures in the course, as follows: Friday, March 24, "The Age of Discoveries"; Monday, March 27. "Theory and Practice of Education"; Wednesday, March 29, "The Academies of Florence, Venice. Naples and Rome"; Monday, April 3, "The Homes of Humanism"; Wednesday, April 5, "The History of Ciceronianism."

All of the lectures will be held in the Fogg Lecture Room at 8 o'clock and will be open to the public.