GARRISON PRIZE IN POETRY

To be Given for First Time This Year.--Poems Must be in Before June 1.

The committee of the Department of English appointed to administer the Lloyd McKim Garrison Prize announces that it is possible to offer the prize for the first time, this year instead of next year as was originally announced. The sum of $100 and a specially designed medal will be given to the author of the best original English poem of 40 to 60 lines, written on one of the following topics: The Balkans, The Immigrant, Harvard College, The Strike-breaker, The New Japan, Charles Russell Lowell. Competitors are entirely free in their choice of form and in treatment of the subjects. The competition is open only to members of Harvard College, not to members of the Graduate Schools. Competing poems should be written on one side of the paper only and signed with an assumed name. A sealed envelope containing the name and address of the author should accompany each ms. All competing poems must be left at University 5, on Thursday, June 1, before 5 o'clock. The announcement of the award will be made at the annual meeting for the announcement of academic distinctions.

By courtesy of the editors of the Harvard Monthly the successful poem will be printed in that magazine and will be counted as two of the four contributions essential for election as an editor. Statements differing from this as to the relation of the Harvard Monthly to the prize have been printed under a misapprehension.

The fund providing the medal and the sum of money annually has been established by classmates and friends of Lloyd McKim Garrison '86, to commemorate his deep interest in poetry and his own literary accomplishment. It was gathered by a committee of his classmates composed of C.F. Adams, 2d, E. R. Thayer, Lockwood Hoffore, W.H. Rand, and James Loeb. The medal, designed by Mr. V. D. Brenner, measures two by two and one half inches. The obverse represents the Muse of Poetry, who, after paying tribute to the departed in whose name the medal is given, is again inspired by the rising sun which represents the coming youth. The reverse has the seal of Harvard encircled by the words "Lloyd McKim Garrison Medal" and a plate for the name of the recipient.

Professors Baker, Briggs, and Wendell are the committee in charge of the prize. Any inquiries in regard to the prize may be addressed to Professor Baker as chairman.