PRESIDENT ELIOT HOME

After Trip to Europe.--His Portrait Painted.--List of Engagements.

President and Mrs. Charles W. Eliot, accompanied by their two granddaughters Miss R. Eliot and Miss G. Eliot, landed in Boston from the "Arabic" yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock. President Eliot, who is in good health, has been in Europe since the latter part of January on a visit to his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Charles Eliot. He has spent most of the winter with his family at Chateau d'Oex in Switzerland. During March he took a two-weeks trip to Venice and Florence. Just before sailing President Eliot's spent a fortnight in London, where he sat to John S. Sargent for his portrait. The portrait is to be the gift of the graduates of the University in commemoration of President Eliot's seventieth birthday. The painting will be completed in a few weeks, when it will be sent here from London.

President Eliot will speak before the National Civic Federation in New York tomorrow evening. On Saturday, May 27, he will be present at the annual meeting of the Associated Harvard clubs in Louisville, Ky. On Monday, May 29, he will attend a meeting of the Harvard Club of Pittsburg. Two days later he will deliver the principal address at the opening of the Allbright Art Gallery at Buffalo.