HARVARD, 5; VERMONT, 0

Slow Game, Called at End of Fifth inning Because of Darkness.

The University baseball team defeated the University of Vermont yesterday afternoon in the first game of the season by the score of 5 to 0. The game was called after the fifth inning on account of darkness.

The work as a whole was far from satisfactory. As bat the team showed a decided weakness in consistent hitting, seven men striking out. This poor showing was in most part due to bad judgement. As this was the fist game against a strange pitcher, this fault may remedy itself after more games have been played. In base running a lack of headwork was shown that might have proved costly in an important game. On two occasions it was only the poor playing of the opposing team that prevented the runner from being put out. The fielders had little to do, but considering the poor condition of the diamond, covered their positions satisfactorily. Coburn pitched well, and at times brilliantly, striking out nine men. This is all the more creditable as the rain made the ball difficult to hold. His chief fault was in allowing himself to be drawn into precarious positions. In the second inning two bases on ba,,s allowed Vermont, to fill the bases, and it was only by striking out Woodward, that a run was prevented Stephenson's catching was of times unsteady.

The scoring began in the first inning. Mahar got his base on balls, stole second, end went to third on Randall's easy grounder. Matthews got his base, and on a clever double steal Mahar scored.

No runs were made in the third inning, but in the fourth Matthews reached first on a scratch hit, was advanced to second on a Hit by Kernan, and scored on McCarty's grounder past shortstop. Stephenson then made a drive over second base, scoring Kernan and McCarty. The next two men struck out. The last run was made in the fifth inning, Mahar making a three-base hit past left field and scoring on an out by Randall. HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Leonard, 3b.  2  0  0  0  0  0 Mahar, l.f  2  2  1  1  0  0 Randall, 1b.  3  0  0  2  1  0 Matthews, s.s.  2  1  1  0  0  0 Kernan, c.f.  2  1  1  1  0  0 McCarty, e.f.  2  1  0  1  0  0 Stephenson, c.  2  0  1  9  0  0 Coburn, p.  2  0  0  1  0  0 Kemble, 2b.  2  0  0  0  0  0 Totals,  19  5  5  4  15  1  0 VERMONT.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Woodward, c.  3  0  0  7  1  0 Williams, s.s.  3  0  1  2  0  0 Campbell, l.f.  2  0  0  0  0  0 Roulbath, p.  2  0  0  1  2  0 Peck, r.f.  2  0  0  0  0  0 Collinson, 2b.  2  0  1  0  1  1 Wiggin, 1b.  2  0  0  4  0  0  0 Grow, 3b.  1  1  0  0  0  1  0 Ward, f.c.  1  0  1  1  0  0 Totals  18  0  3  15  5  1

Earned runs--Harvard 1. Stolen bases--Mahar 2. Matthews 2. William. Threebase hit--Mahar. Two-base hit--Ward. Bases on balls--by Coburn: Grow, Ward; by Roulbath: Mahar, Matthews, Leonard, 2, Matthews, Coburn 2, Kemble 2. Time--1 h. 35 m. Umpire--Murray