H. P. C. PLAY WELL RECEIVED

At Graduates' Night.--Undergraduates Performance of "Machiavelli" at 8.

The graduates' night performance of "Machiavelli" was given at the Hasty Pudding Club theatre Saturday evening. In marked contrast to last year's "Boodle & Co.," this more conservative comic opera pleased the older men by its return to the former style of Pudding theatricals. Its universal appeal, as shown by unanimous and spontaneous applause, lies in the spirited burlesque of Italian and romantic "atmosphere," occasional wit, and warmth of color and musical tone.

The music, by L. B. Hall '05, is well adapted to the various songs, marches and choruses. At its best in "Soldiers of Fortune" and the "Ghost's Song," where the themes show considerable power of emotional expression, it is at times too heavy to suit the comic vein. Book and lyrics, by G. Aertsen, Jr., '05, are full of unexpected conceits. Though not always entirely effective, they occasionally rise to a very happy order of wit which is irresistible.

W. M. Tilden '05, as Lucrezia, repeated his success of last year, and sang "The Maiden Never Raised Her Eyes" with a graceful charm and captivating expression. The Machiavelli of A. E. Hutchinson '06, though a difficult part played commendably well, showed less originality than some of the other characters. G. H. Field '06, in the part of "Hazy." or "?," DeTrop's absent minded servant, was in action and facial expression an extremely laughable figure. He spoke his excellent line with an inimitable drawl, and convulsed the audience by his solo "Absent-Minded," R. N. Baldwin '05 sang "The Ghost" and "Guidarello Gidarelli" with ease and snap. His burlesque of the sate ghost was amusing, but not consistent, even for the purposes of comic opera. For Gascon Abandon and D'Artagnan-like swagger B. Joy '05 was all that the part of DeTrop required, and his songs "Soldiers of Fortune" and "Gascony" gave life even to the well-trained chorus. "Alfred Dante Petrarch," "Castles in Spain," and "Araby" were sung with good enunciation and graceful action by W. P. Sawyer '05, as the court poet. Lack of opportunities limited the otherwise effective work of S. C. Adams '05 and C. S. Bird, Jr., '06.

The dancing of the chorus, less elaborate than usual, made up for this deficiency by brilliancy of costume and skillful action. The singing was generally effective and especially so in "Soldiers of Fortune: and "The Swan Song," in "Guidarello Gidarelli." and in the opening chorus of the second act, "Moonlight."

Tonight will be undergraduates' night at the club theatre, and the only open performance in Cambridge. The Boston performances will be given at Jordan Hall on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. There will be no matinees. Seats for all performances are on sale at Herrick's and Thurston's.