NORTON LIBRARY FUND

Raised as Testimonial to Professor C. E. Norton for Books for College Library.

On Thursday evening last, at Shady Hill, Professor Charles Eliot Norton was informally presented with the following dedication of a book-fund for the College Library which has been raised in his honor:

TO

CHARLES ELIOT NORTON

FROM

HIS PUPILS, ASSOCIATES, AND FRIENDS

IN APPRECIATION

OF HIS SERVICES TO HARVARD UNIVERSITY

DURING MANY YEARS

IN ADMIRATION

OF HIS LIFE-LONG DEVOTION TO HIGH IDEALS

IN LETTERS, ART, AND CIVIC DUTY

IN GRATITUDE

FOR HIS HOSPITALITY, COUNSEL, FRIENDSHIP

INSPIRATION

Signed on behalf of some 530 subscribers by: Henry L. Higginson, Horace Howard Furness, Charles S. Fairchild, William James, Charles J. Bonaparte, William Lawrence, A. Lawrence Lowell, Edward Robinson, George Lyman Kittredge, Archibald Cary Coolidge, James Loeb, Ralph Emerson Forbes. Executive committee: L. B. R. Briggs, William Roscoe Thayer, Henry Schofield, Gardiner M. Lane, Treasurer; B. Apthorp Gould Fuller, Secretary.

A volume containing the signatures of the subscribers is being prepared. It will be finely bound after an Italian model of the sixteenth century.

The sum collected, about $24,000, provides for the purchase of Professor Norton's valuable private collection of books, and for a fund the income of which shall be devoted each year to the purchase of books for the College Library to be connected with Professor Norton's name and memory. Professor Norton will himself indicate the kind of books for which the income will be used.

Professor Norton's library, founded on that of his father, Professor Andrews Norton, has been steadily built up with a rare discrimination and perseverance and with an unswerving loyalty to the best in art and letters. It has also been constantly enriched through a long series of years with gifts from friends--gifts which add the charm of personal associations to a collection already remarkably interesting and precious, and strongly marked by the individuality of its owner. Many of the rarer books Professor Norton is sending to the College Library immediately so that their safety may be assured. The rest remain at Shady Hill.