GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP MATCHES

Begin Today With Qualifying Round at Oakley Course.--Williams Defeated.

The tournament to decide the individual golf championship of the University will begin this afternoon with a qualifying round of 18 holes at the Oakley Golf Club course. Match play will begin tomorrow and will continue every afternoon until the final round is played on. Medals will be awarded to the winner of the tournament and the runner up. As only 15 men have entered, the time for receiving entries has been extended to 12 o'clock today. Entries, together with the entrance fee of $1, should be sent to M. McBurney, Claverly 26.

Men may choose their own partners in the qualifying round this afternoon. The pairing for tomorrow's matches will be announced in the CRIMSON.

The University golf team defeated Williams last Saturday by a score of 11 1-2 to 1 1-2. The members of the University team exhibited much better for, than the Williams players. White and Ingalls played particularly well. Following are the results of the individual matches, reckoned on the basis of one point for the match and one-half point for each hole won:   HARVARD.    WILLIAMS. Ingalls,  3  Clapp,  0 McBurney,  1 1/2  A. Mitchell,  0 White,  4 1/2  L. Mitchell,  0 Gilbert,  0  Gregory,  1 1/2 Harrison,  2 1/2  Lynde,  0 Totals,  11 1/2  -  1 1/2