Freshmen Race University Crew

Red Top, June 14, 1905.--The University crew rowed a mile and a half down-stream this morning. The boat spaced well between strokes, but the bow four were ahead of the stroke on the catch. In the afternoon the crew started upstream with the tide over the regular four-mile course, rowing a very slow-stroke of about 26. At the mile mark they were picked up by the Freshman eight, which was waiting for them. The latter, with a much higher stroke, pulled away from the University crew, and crossed the three-mile mark ten seconds in the lead. Shortly after this the crews were forced to turn back, owing to the wash from the tugboats.

The four-oar crew rowed over the half-mile course this morning in 2 minutes and 36 seconds, which is very good time. In the afternoon it took an easy row, three miles down the river, in long stretches.

It has been decided that in case the University crew race on June 29, scheduled to be rowed downstream at 10.30 o'clock, is postponed, it will take place at 6 o'clock and will be rowed upstream. C.H. Schweppe '02, who was chairman of the regatta committee last year, will hold the same position this year.