PHILLIPS BROOKS HOUSE CASE

Advisability of a Middle Course.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

There are two ways of looking at the recent Med. Fac. incident. We may consider it as a mere prank and totally different from real house-breaking and theft. If so, we should give the incident no further attention. Or we may consider it as something totally unworthy of a member of our community, as an affront to some of the best phases of the life of that community, and as an insult to the memory of one of our truest graduates. If so, we should uproot the evil, showing no mercy.

Dean Hurlbut's agreement does neither the one nor the other. It does not take the first view, for it self-evidently shows annoyance at the incident, tries to brush the Med. Fac. away like some trouble some fly, and means to purchase immunity from attacks of the society by grace to one of its members. Nor does it take the other view. It does not go to the bottom, at shows mercy without uprooting the evil.

Dean Hurlbut's agreement is a half-hearted compromise and a bare-faced confession of weakness. It is an agreement through which a mere child could drive a coach and four. It temporizes.

No matter what view we take of the Med. Fac. incident, I think we have a right to expect of Dean Hurlbut and the Faculty what they always have a right to expect of us: to take a firm, outspoken, manly stand, not to dilly-dally. C. E., Jr.