Freshman Rowing Last Week

During the week the Freshman rowing squad has held daily practice on the machines, under the direction of the three coaches, Wray, Rice, and Stevenson. The work has been of a very light and preliminary nature, in order to sort out the men, and form a first squad, which will be founded on merit and not on previous experience. All the men have reported regularly, and it is probable that the first shift will be made early next week.

The provisional first squad has shown general improvement in form since the beginning of practice; the men take to the work readily, and put a good swing and drive into the stroke. There are several members of the more inexperienced squads that show signs of ability, but many of the men are unable to master the stroke, and have the usual tendency to rush the slides and slump at the finish. These men, however, will be given an opportunity to prove their ability when work on the tank begins in about a week. Until that time no accurate estimate of the material can be made.