CLAVERLY WON FILLEY CUPS

Final Races the Best of the Series. Dormitory Rowing a Success.

As a result of the final race of the inter-dormitory bumping races, which was rowed last Saturday afternoon, Claverly has been awarded the Filley perpetual challenge cup for a year and has won permanent possession of the cup offered for the winner of the series this fall. Undoubtedly, Claverly was the best crew on the river, and in Saturday's race, despite the sluggish tide, covered the one and three-eight's mile course in the excellent time of seven minutes, nine and four-fifths seconds. Each day it has maintained its lead at the head of the river in the first division and has never been in danger of being bumped. The executive committee has given no decision with regard to the winners of the second and third divisions.

Saturday's Races.

Only two bumps were scored Saturday. In the second division, Holworthy bumped Thayer three minutes after the start, and in the third division, College House overlapped Foxcroft-Divinity just before rounding the Stillman. Infirmary bend. Mt. Auburn street in the first division and Second Holyoke in the third division withdrew. The starts were better than before, several of the crews using racing starts to good advantage. Claverly rowed the highest stroke, pulling 33 to the minute, while the others used a stroke varying from 25 to 30 to the minute. Even at that comparatively high stroke, Claverly seemed to have good control of their slides and the boat spaced well between strokes. In the third division Hollis-Stoughton made a good showing and might well have been placed in a faster division.

The first division started at 3.35 o'clock in the following order: 1, Claverly; 2, Randolph; 3, Westmorly; 4, Russell; 5, Craigle-Waverley; 6, Dunster-Dana-Drayton. There were no bumps in this division, although at one time Craigie-Waverley cut down Russell's lead to half a length, but Russell spurted and was never again in danger. Claverly gradually pulled away from Randolph and finished in good form. For a while, Westmorly kept up with Randolph, but in the last half of the course they fell behind. Dunster made a poor start and never made up the distance thus lost.

Owing to a broken oar in the Hampden boat, the second division did not start until 4.25 o'clock. They rowed in the following order: 1, First Holyoke, 2, Thayer; 3, Holworthy; 4, Hampden; 5, Perkins; 6, Weld; 7, Matthews. Holworthy got an excellent start and rowed a high stroke to the first curve, where they bumped Thayer. First Holyoke rowed well and increased its lead over Hampden after Thayer and Holworthy had dropped out. Matthews was unsteady and put very little energy into their stroke.

The third divisions was started at 4.50 o'clock in the following order: 1, Hollis-Stoughton; 2, Foxcroft-Divinity; 3, College House; 4, Grays; 5, Brentford. Before the first bond had been reached, College House bumped Foxcroft-Divinity. Hollis-Stoughton followed its stroke well and was easily the best crew in the division. The work of the division as a whole was much better than on the previous days.

Summary of the Work.

The races this fall have been an unqualified success and have greatly encouraged the rowing authorities to make them hereafter a more important feature in the rowing system. Twenty crews have completed, as opposed to fifteen last year, and the work has been of a much higher order. Owing to the number of last year's crews which did not appear this fall, the original plan to have last year's finishing order become this year's starting order was found impracticable, and Captain Bacon was obliged to re-arrange the crews. The division into three groups, according to merit, has resulted in much closer races than under the old plan and will be continued next year.

Graded and Freshman Rowing.

Tomorrow graded crews will be formed at each boat club. All the men that have been rowing in the bumping races are urged to report to the boathouse from which they have been rowing, and as many crews will be made up as possible. At a later date, to be determined by the weather, races between these crews will be held over the one and seven-eight's mile course in the basin, and the club insignia will be awarded to the winners.

All Freshmen who have not been rowing in the dormitory crews and who would like to row this fall will report to Coach Wray at the University boathouse tomorrow afternoon