Special Courses for Teachers

The courses enumerated below are open to men and women and intended for teachers in service. They will be given between November 1 and April 1 of the academic year 1906-07. In order that early arrangements may be made, persons who expect to take any of this work are asked to signify their intention as soon as possible. If the demand for any course is very small, the offer of it may be withdrawn. The fee for each course will be fifteen dollars. Communications should be addressed to Mr. J. G. Hart, secretary, at University 5.

Education--General principles of education, programs of study, supervision, lectures and discussions; Professor Hanus. Fridays at 4.30, beginning November 2. This course is intended primarily for principals and superintendents of schools.

Pyschology--Application to teaching; Asst. Professor Norton. Mondays and Fridays, at 4, beginning November 5.

Fine Arts--Theory of pure design. Twelve lectures with experimental practice; Dr. D. W. Ross, assisted by Mr. E. O. Parker. Lectures on Saturdays at 2, beginning November 3.

German--Das deutsche Drama dor Gegenwart. Saturday mornings, during first half-year by Professor Kuehnemann of the University of Breslau, Visiting Professor of German Literature. The Department has in view to offer either a continuation of Professor Kuehnemann's course during the second half-year, or a course beginning November 2 in composition, conversation, and the practical problems of teaching German. Inquires may be addressed to Mr. W. G. Howard, Conant 25.

History--American history in the colonial and revolutionary periods; Professor Changing. Saturdays at 11, beginning November 3.

Latin--Horace: selections from satires, epodes, odes, and epistles. A study of the Augustan age; Professor C. H. Moore. Fridays at 4, beginning November 2.

Mathematics--Elementary algebra and geometry; Professor W. T. Osgood, Asst. Professor E. V. Huntington, and Dr. J. L. Coolidge. Fridays at 4.30, beginning November 9.

Music--Principles of rudimentary harmony, or the grammar of music; Mr. W. C. Heilman at 4.30 on Mondays and Thursdays in November and December, Mondays only in January, February, and March. The course begins November 5. Particular attention will be paid to the present condition of music in the public schools, and to the best methods of presenting the theoretical side of the subject.

The Fundamental Principles of Musical Form-Requisties for the cultivation of a broad musical appreciation. Twelve lectures, with musical illustrations; Professor W. R. Spalding, Saturdays, from 11.15 to 12.15, on November 3, 10, 17 and 24; December 8 and 15; January 12 and 26; February 16 and 23; March 9 and 23.

Philosophy--Introduction to ethics, ideals and the reason for their choice, ethics of individualism, what constitutes welfare, the moral training of the young, the relations between morality and religion; Professor Royce. Thirty lectures on Wednesdays and Fridays at 4.30, beginning November 7.

Physical Education -The theory and practice of physical training as applied to the teacher's problems in education; Dr. D. G. Sargent. Fridays at 4, beginning November 2.

Methods of practical instruction in school gymnastics; Mr. C. S. Shrader, Saturdays at 11, beginning November 3.

Physics--General descriptive physics; Professor Hall. Lectures at 3, and laboratory work from 4 to 6 on Fridays.