Technology Won Cross-Country Run

The University cross-country team was defeated by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology team yesterday afternoon in a five-mile run over the Technology course from the Highland Club, West Roxbury, to the Technology grounds in Brookline Village. Howland of Technology, who finished first, covered the course in 24 minutes 19 seconds, breaking by 31 seconds the record established for this course last year by Beam of Technology. In scoring, only the first five men of each team were counted, each place counting according to its numerical value. Technology scored 18 points and the University team 39.

Howland took the lead at the start and increased it throughout the race, finishing well ahead of all the other competitors. MacGregor and Callaway, both of Technology, finished second and third respectively. The five members of the University team who scored finished in the following order: 4, M. S. Crosby '08; 6, W. Minot '07; 8, H. W. King '08; 10, H. F. Hadden '09; 11, R. W. Fisher '08. These five men, together with W. G. Howard '07 and C. N. Hedin '08, will be retained provisionally for the intercollegiate cross-country meet to be held at Princeton on November 28.