LIGHT PRACTICE YESTERDAY

Many Regular Men Given Rest.--Captains Foster in Signal Work.

The secret football practice yesterday afternoon was very light, as Burr, Kersburg, Orr. Osborne and Wendell were given a day's rest. There was no scrimmage, and the time was chiefly devoted to work tending to make the team start quicker and more together. To this end all the men were given a long drill in starting with the ball. There was a short panting practice, Newhall doing the kicking, and the ends running down the field under the ball, but there was no tackling. A long signal drill followed in which practically all the plays were run through. Coach Reid was not on the field, as he has gone to Springfield to consult with the Yale coaches about officials for the Yale game next Saturday. Captain Foster, who has now nearly recovered from his sprained ankle, was again in the signal practice, in which he got along well. Orr's foot is troubling him slightly, but he will be out this afternoon together with Burr, who has had a slight cold. Kersburg wrenched his knee in the Dartmouth game, but is rapidly recovering and will be all right by Saturday. Starr played end in the signal practice yesterday, and is in excellent condition. Just at the close of the practice the University eleven lined up against the second team for a few minutes' defensive work, which was very satisfactory.

The University team lined up for signals as follows: l.e., Kennard, Bird; l.t., Hoar; l.g., Brock; c., Parker; r.g., Gilmore; r.t., Peirce; r.e., Starr; q.b., Newhall; l.h., Foster; r.h., Lincoln; f.b., Apollonio.

The line-up for defensive work: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Bird, Kennard, l.e.  r.e., Appleton Robinson, l.t.  r.t., Philippbar Brock, l.g.  r.g., Plumb Fraser, c.  c., Dore Gilmore, Warren, r.g.  l.g., Jones Inches, r.t.  l.t., Comstock Harding, r.e.  l.e., Brown Hall, q.b.  q.b., Adams Mason, l.h.  r.o., Greenebaum Lockwood, r.h.  l.h., Graydon Apollonio, f.b.  f.b., Somes

The secret work today will be very light, but tomorrow there will be a short open scrimmage--probably the last scrimmage of the year.