Harvard, 0; Yale, 6

New Plays Largely Responsible for Outcome of a Most Exciting Game

YALE FIELD, NEW HAVEN, Nov. 24--Harvard met Yale this afternoon on Yale Field in the annual gridiron contest between the Crimson and the Blue. Fully an hour before the time set for the game, the crowd of 36,000 people had begun to arrived on the field. The weather was bracing and the field itself in excellent condition, although a stiff west wind was blowing directly, acrose it. The sky was fell of clouds interspersed with chinks of blue through which the sun shone at intervals.

At 1.15 o'clock the spectators began to pour into their places, the Harvard stands filling first. At 1.20 the Yale band took its place in the middle of the Yale side of the field. The Harvard stands started by whistling "The Gridiron King," and soon the Yale band livened things up with a martial air.

At 1.45 the Blue stands led off with a cheer for Yale which was at once followed by a Harvard cheer for Yale. The compliment was returned by the Yale stands. A cheer for captain Foster given by the Yale contingent was answered by a cheer for Captain Morse from the Harvard stands. After the arrival of the Harvard band the Crimson sang the "Gridiron King," and Yale quickly followed with "Down the Field."

At 1.55 the Yale team trotted on the field and were loudly cheered by the Yale stands and Harvard stands also. The Yale eleven at once lined up for signal practice and Veeder tried a few punts.

Harvard and Yale cheers and songs enlivened the air until the arrival of the Harvard team led by Captain Foster at exactly 2 o'clock. Burr got off several excellent punts.

Yale won the toss and took its position defending the north goal.

The team lined up as follows: HARVARD.  YALE. Macdonald, l.e.  r.e., H. Jones Osborne, l.t.  r.t., Biglow Burr, l.g.  r.g., Ervin Parker, c.  c., Hockenberger Kersburg, r.g.  l.g., Brides Peirce, r.t.  l.t., Paige Starr, r.e.  l.e., Forbes Newhall, q.b.  q.b., T. Jones Foster, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Veeder Lincoln, r.h.  l.h., Knox Wendell, f.b.  f.b., Morse

Burr kicked off to T. Jones on the 10-yard line and the ball was run back to the 30-yard line. On a take kick Morse failed to gain. Veeder's punt was blocked and Macdonald got the ball on Yale's 45-yard line. On a forward pass Newhall gained 25 yards throwing the ball to Starr. Wendell made 5 yards through centre and then made two more through the same place, Newhall's drop kick was blocked and Forbes got the ball for Yale on the 40-yard line. On a fake kick Knox failed to gain. T. Jones lost six yards on a run from a punt formation. Yale was penalized 15 yards for holding. Veeder punted to Newhall on the 30-yard line, and he ran the ball back 15 yards.

Lincoln rushed 10 yards around Harvard's left end, Foster made 3 yards and then gained one yard. Harvard was penalized five yards for offside play. Lincoln made three yards. Burr punted to Jones on Yale's 35-yard line but Harvard was penalized for holding. Burr punted to Jones, on Yale's 38-yard line. Knox made five yards and added three more through Harvard's left guard. Veeder punted over Lincoln's head end Newhall downed the ball for a touchback.

Alcott replaced H. Jones at right end for Yale.

Burr kicked out from the 20-yard line to Knox on Yale's 40-yard line and Knox ran the ball back to Harvard's 20-yard line, where he was finally tackled by Lincoln. Morse made three yards. The ball was then on Harvard's 12-yard line, and Knox failed to gain. Morse secured two yards on a line buck.

Knox made two yards around right end. On a forward pass Starr intercepted the ball and downed it for Harvard on the 10-yard line after Alcott had fumbled it. Burr punted to Knox on Harvard's 35-yard line. Veeder made seven yards through left tackle. Veeder failed to gain on a split play being checked by Peirce.

Starr regained Ball on Forward Pass.

On a fake kick Veeder made a forward pass to Starr on Harvard's 15-yard line. Wendell broke through Yale's centre and carried the ball 25 yards. Lincoln made seven yards through Yale's right tackle. Lincoln carried the ball six yards more through Yale's right guard. Foster gained four yards, thus making it first down.

Newhall made an onside kick on which Jones downed the ball for Yale on Yale's 40-yard line. Veeder gained eight yards through left tackle. On the next play he gained only one yard, being tackled by Osborne. On a long onside kick by Knox Yale got the ball on Harvard's 25-yard line.

Jones made a spectacular end run but gained only three yards. The ball was taken back, however, and Yale was penalized five yards for offside play. With the ball on Harvard's 30-yard line Veeder made five yards. Knox was thrown for a five yard loss by Osborne.

Veeder's drop kick from Harvard's 35-yard line barely failed to score the goal. Burr kicked out to Biglow in the centre of the field, who ran the ball back 12 yards. Morse made four yards through centre. Knox made an onside kick on which Forbes got the ball on Harvard's 25-yard line. Morse gained three yards through centre.

Veeder gained three yards. Roome replaced Knox for Yale. Yale was penalized five yards for offside play. Roome made five yards through left guard. On a fake punt Veeder made a forward pass to Alcott on Harvard's 4-yard line.

Yale Scored Touchdown and Goal.

Morse gained one yard and Roome took the ball over the line for the first touchdown. Veeder kicked the goal. Score Harvard, 0; Yale, 6.

Burr kicked off over the line for a touchback. Veeder-kicked out from the 20-yard line to Burr in the middle of the field, who ran it back 20 yards. Newhall made an onside kick on which Veeder downed the ball on Yale's 20-yard line. On a fake kick Roome failed to gain. t. Jones made a 22-yard run on a fake kick. Roome got the ball on a fumble and lost two yards, after which time was called for the first half. Score--Yale, 6; Harvard, 0.

How the Teams were Playing.

In the first half Yale showed a very powerful offensive ability and used the onside kick and forward pass to great advantage on several occasions when the Yale team was within striking distance of Harvard's goal line. Harvard's team played very good football and it was only Yale's superior ability in open plays that enabled her to score.

Several times Newhall made successful forward passes to Macdonald and Starr. But as a general thing they were of small avail. With the exception of the first few minutes of play the ball remained for the most part in Harvard's territory.

Harvard's back field was not particularly good at preventing Yale men from recovering the ball on open plays but on the offense Harvard repeatedly made gains through Yale's line. The two most interesting features of the first half of the game were a 25-yard gain by Wendell after breaking through Yale's centre and an end run by T. Jones when near Harvard's goal line.

Burr's punting was slightly superior to Veeder's but the Harvard ends were slow in taking advantage of that fact.

Both teams came back on the field a few minutes before three o'clock.

Second Half.

The teams came back on the field with no changes. Harvard defended the north goal. Biglow kicked off to Macdonald who ran from the 25-yard line to the 35-yard line. On a poor pass Burr punted to Veeder on Yale's 35-yard line, who ran the ball back to the centre of the field. Roome broke through Harvard's line, but Lincoln tackled him after a four yard gain. Veeder made an onside kick on which Newhall got the ball on Harvard's 30-yard line. On a poor pass Burr punted 50 yards to Veeder who was downed in his tracks on Yale's 30-yard line.

Roome made two yards on a split play. On a fake kick Jones made 25 yards around left end out of bounds in the centre of the field. On a fake kick Roome was thrown for a one-yard loss.

Veeder punted to Newhall on Harvard's 37-line. Foster made two yards and fumbled, Roome getting the ball for Yale. Roome made four yards through centre, and six yards through right guard. Morse made two yards through centre.

Frazer replaced Parker at centre..

Harvard was given the ball on downs on the 25-yard line. Burr punted to Morse who fumbled in the centre of the field and Macdonald got the ball for Harvard. Lincoln made a long onside kick and T. Jones got the ball and was downed on Yale's 20-yard line. Veeder failed to gain on an end run. T. Jones made five yards with good interference. Veeder punted out of bounds in the middle of the field, the ball going to Harvard.

On a forward pass Bride got the ball and ran back five yards to Yale's 52-yard line, but the ball was taken back because it touched the ground. Roome made five yards and Morse added two more through centre. T. Jones made a yard end run, being tackled hard. Roome broke through the line for five yards and Veeder failed to gain. Yale was penalized 15 yards for holding. Veeder was thrown back three yards, and then punted out of bounds on Harvard's 20-yard line, the ball going to Harvard.

Orr replaced Starr for Harvard. Burr punted to Veeder who ran back to Yale's 50-yard line. On an onside kick Lincoln got the ball on Harvard's 40-yard line. Newhall made an onside kick, Veeder downing the ball on Yale's 45-yard line. On two fake punts Roome was thrown for a one-yard loss. Veeder punted high out of bounds on Harvard's 50-yard line. On a very poor pass Burr punted 65 yards out of bounds on Yale's 20-yard line.

T. Jones made one yard on an end run. Bomar replaced Roome for Yale. T. Jones was thrown for an eight-yard loss on a fake kick. Yale was penalized 15 yards for holding. Yale's ball on their own three-yard line. Bomar made three yards through centre. Veeder punted to Newhall on Yale's 35-yard line. Lincoln made an onside kick to Jones on Yale's 20-yard line. Veeder punted to Newhall on Harvard's 55-yard line.

The game ended with Yale's ball on Harvard's 12-yard line.

Final score--Harvard, 0; Yale, 6.THE YALE FOOTBALL SQUAD.

Starr regained Ball on Forward Pass.

Yale Scored Touchdown and Goal.

How the Teams were Playing.

Second Half.

Frazer replaced Parker at centre..