PRODUCTION OF FRENCH PLAYS

Parts Acted with Artistic Finish and Music Acceptably Rendered.

The graduates performance of the Cercle Francais dramatics in Brattle Hall last night was an eventful occasion. Both plays, "Le Medecin Malgre Lui" and "Le Chapeau d'un Horloger," were presented with an artistic finish, quite unusual for an amateur performance. The acting throughout was good and the singing of the spirited, expressive airs of Gounod's score was very effective.

In "Le Chapeau d'un Horloger," the principal part, that of Amadee, was taken by R. L. Niles '09. By his clever interpretation of the blundersome butler, and by his eloquence of facial expression, he afforded much amusement. He was ably seconded by W. G. Wendell '09, as Rodrigue, G. A. Schneider '09 as Henriette, and the others in the cast.

All of the parts in "Le Medecin Malgre Lui" were so well taken and the musical numbers so acceptably rendered that there was not a dull moment during the entire performance. Special mention should be made of the acting and singing of A. F. Hurlburt '09, who took the part of Sganarelle. His rendition of the Bottle Song of the first act and of the "Vive la Medecine" at the opening of the third act were especially pleasing. The spirit of gayety of the great Moliere was well introduced into the performance by the acting of F. R. Leland sC., and G. Howe '08, interpreting the parts of Jacqueline and Martine respectively. J. P. S. Harrison '09 sang the charming songs of the lover, Leandre, with excellent taste. The other members of the cast, notably H. von Kaltenborn sC., as Geronte, deserve praise for the adequate support rendered the leading actors.

One of the most appreciated parts of the entertainment was the ballet, danced by M. S. Winpenny '09, A. S. A. Brady '08 and B. Hall '08. A. M. Hurlin 1G., who had charge of the musical part of the performance, composed the music for the dances. The performance was closed with the recitation of an address to Moliere by F. deR. Sterey 1L., and the singing of a hymn to Moliere by J. L. Swarts '07. Both the address and the hymn were written by M. Perrin, the successful coach of the Cercle dramatics. The music of the hymn was composed by A. M. Hurlin 1G.

Public Performances in Boston.

The two public performances will be held in Jordan Hall, Boston, tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock and again on Monday evening at the same hour. Seats for these performances are on sale in Cambridge at Thurston's and in Boston at Herrick's and Schoenhof's. The prices are: floor, $1.50; first row balcony, $1.50; second and third rows balcony, $1.60; all other seats, 50 cents.