MUSICAL UNION BUILDING

Will be Erected for the Department of Music and the Musical Societies.

Detailed plans for the Musical Union Building, to be erected for the use of the Department of Music and all the musical societies in the University, have been prepared by prominent New York architects and accepted by the Graduated Executive Committee of the Pierian Sodality, under whose direction the preparations are being made. The building will be erected in the vicinity of Holmes Field near Pierce Hall. This site has been selected by President Eliot because of its accessibility and of the probability of its always being quiet. The main features of the plans are these: A hall, capable of seating 500, for chamber concerts, lectures, concerts by the Pierian Sodality, Glee Club and other college societies, organ recitals and organ practice; a smaller hall, to seat 250, for lectures, rehearsals, etc.; a large room for the musical library; seven smaller rooms for class work and for the use of the Pierian, Glee Club, Mandolin Club, Banjo Club and the Musical Club. The cost of such a structure would be about $100,000. It is hoped that the building will be completed in time for dedication upon the 100th anniversary of the Pierian Sodality in 1908.

In view of the fact that the late Professor J. K. Paine established the Musical Department at Harvard, and during his long professorship rendered great service to the cause of music in America, it has been proposed that the new building, or one of the halls therein, shall take the form of a memorial to him.

A subscription committee, composed of graduates and undergraduates interested in the cause of music in the University, is at present raising funds for the proposed building.