Hospitals Near New Medical School

When the new Medical School was planned, it was intended eventually to group around the buildings numerous affiliated hospitals. Accordingly, the Corporation has made offers to various large hospitals of parts of the 26-acre plot belonging to the University with the result that at present, three institutions, the Brigham Hospital, the Children's Hospital and the Infants' Hospital, are prepared to avail themselves of these opportunities. Plans for the buildings are being drawn and work will be begun as soon as possible.

The largest of these institutions is the Brigham Hospital, made possible by the will of Peter B. Brigham. It is planned by the trustees of this legacy, which amounts to about $5,000,000, to erect a complete set of hospital buildings on the property fronting on Huntington avenue and Francis street. Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, the architects of the new Medical School Buildings, are designing this group. The Children's Hospital, another large institution, will build to the west of the Medical School. The Infants' Hospital, in memory of Thomas Morgan Rotch '01, will be erected near the Children's Hospital. It has been decided to go ahead with definite plans for this building with the present available fund which, at one time, was considered insufficent.