Improvement in Hockey Practice

The second out-door hockey practice for the University and Freshman squads, which was held on Artificial Pond yesterday afternoon, was a distinct improvement over the work of the day before. The practice consisted in preliminary goal shooting by the forwards, followed by a 40-minute line-up in which the first team defeated the second 3 to 1. The first goal was scored by Pell a few minutes after the play began. Rumsey shot the second goal soon afterwards from a scrimmage in front of the goal posts. Later Townsend made the third score for the first team. Towards the end of the period, after a series of long passes, Dalton scored a goal for the second.

Although the stickwork of both teams was inaccurate, the first at times showed good team work and speed. Dr. F. J. Goodridge '98 acted as coach and referee, The Freshmen practice consisted mostly of preliminary work. There was a short line-up, however, in which all the candidates were given a try-out. The first and second University teams lined up as follows: Pell, l.e.  r.e., Field, Strauss, Dalton Townsend, l.c.  r.c., Furba, Field Rumsey, r.c.  l.c., Dalton, Barta Paine, r.e.  l.e., Dougherty Briggs, c.p.  c.p., Harding, A. Fraser-Campbell Sampson, p.  p., Willetts, Whiting Carpenter, Washburn, g.  g., Green, Holloway, Anderton

The rink in the Stadium has been flooded, and there is a good foundation of ice, but practice will not be held there until another thick layer of ice is formed. Notices for today's practice will be posted for the University squad at Leavitt & Peirce's, and for the Freshmen at the Rendezvous.