U. OF P., 24; HARVARD, 13

Basketball Team Lost Through Opponents' Faster Team Play.

The University basketball team was defeated by the University of Pennsylvania, 24 to 13, on Saturday evening in Philadelphia.

The game was practically lost in the first few minutes of play, when Pennsylvania by fast starting and clever team work secured a lead of 10 points before Harvard had thrown a single basket. The concerted action of the Pennsylvania players proved stronger than was anticipated and their speed gave them an additional advantage over of the Harvard team. As the game progressed the University players succeeded in covering their men better, but in doing this, committed a large number of fouls by holding and Flint's accurate shooting on free tries added 12 points to Pennsylvania's score. Harvard was unable to use signal formations to good effect owing to the snappy starting of the other team. Individually Captain Griffiths and Amberg were more than equal to their opponents, both in fast dribbling and in shooting, but were unable to make up for Pennsylvania's brilliant start.

The first two points were scored as a result of penalties inflicted on Harvard, and shortly after this Keinath shot the first basket from the floor. Two more baskets and two free tries made the score 10 to 0 in favor of Pennsylvania. Harvard then rallied and after a long pass Amberg made the first score for the University team, Griffiths then scored on a foul and shortly after Amberg shot a second basket. Griffiths threw another goal by a long shot just before the end of the first half making the score 12 to 7 in favor of Pennsylvania. In the second period Harvard covered better but made so many fouls that Pennsylvania added eight more points on free tries. The teams each scored two baskets from the floor in this half.

The summary: HARVARD.  PENNSYLVANIA. Quigley, l.f.  r.g., McCrudden Broun, Brooks, r.f.  l.g., Keifaber Amberg, c.  c., Ehlers Burnham, l.g.  r.f., Keinath Griffiths, r.g.  l.f., Flint

Score--Pennsylvania, 24; Harvard, 13. Goals from the floor--Amberg 2, Griffiths 2, Brooks, Flint, Keinath 2, Keifaber 3. Goals from fouls--Griffiths 2, Broun, Flint 12. Fouls called on--Harvard, 21; Pennsylvania, 11. Referee--A. Sharpe, Yale. Timekeepers--W. A. Spencer '06, M. Ewing, Jr., Pennsylvania. Time--20-minute halves.