UNION CONSTITUTION

Changes Provisionally Adopted.--To be Finally Voted Upon Tuesday.

Below is given in full the revised Constitution of the Union, final action upon which will be taken at the meeting Tuesday evening. It will be noted that where only changes in wording have been made, not materially affecting the sense, such changes have been indicated by the use of capital letters. Sections the entire sense of which has been changed are denoted by asterisks.

The Constitution follows:

I. Name.

The name of this society shall be the Harvard Union.

II. Object.

Its object shall be to promote comradeship among members of Harvard University, by providing at Cambridge a suitable Club House for social purposes.

III. Board of Trustees.

The legal title to the property of the Harvard Union shall be vested in a Board of Trustees, seven in number, to be appointed by the President and Fellows of Harvard College.

IV. Officers.

Section 1. The officers of the Union shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Treasurer and a Secretary.

Sect. 2. The President shall preside at all meetings and be ex-office a member of all committees. No one who has not been a member of the Union for one year shall be President.

Sect. 3. The Vice-President shall discharge the duties AND EXERCISE ALL THE RIGHTS of the President when the latter is absent, and shall be ex-office a member of the GOVERNING BOARD.

Sect. 4. The Treasurer shall be appointed by the GOVERNING BOARD, subject to the approval of the Board of Trustees. HE SHALL AT ALL TIMES BE SUBJECT TO THE REGULATIONS OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES, by whom he may be removed at any time. He shall keep the accounts of the Union, collect the dues of members, be responsible for the care of property, order current supplies and minor repairs, present monthly to the Board of Trustees a statement of receipts and expenditures, and shall have such further powers and duties as the Board of TRUSTEES shall prescribe. The Treasurer shall be exofficio a member of the GOVERNING BOARD, and shall have power to engage and discharge the employees of the Union. Once a year he shall submit to the members of the Union a complete financial statement. The salary of the Treasurer shall be fixed by the Trustees.

Sect. 5. The Secretary shall keep the records of the Union, AND give notice when meetings are to be hold, AND SHALL BE EX-OFFICE A MEMBER OF THE GOVERNING BOARD.

V. Standing Committees.

Section 1. There shall be TWO STANDING COMMITTEES, to wit: A GOVERNING BOARD, and a Library Committee.

*Sect. 2. The Governing Board shall be elected annually, and shall be constituted as follows: four representatives from the College and Scientific School, two representatives from the Graduate Departments of the University, the Present, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer of the Union. The Governing Board shall make all rules for preserving order and relating to the use of the Club House. It may give permission for the use, on special occasions, of any hall or room that may not be reserved, but shall have no power to lease any part of the premises. The Board shall nominate candidates to be voted for at the annual election, and shall have the power to pass on names of candidates for Membership. Five members shall constitute a quorum. The Governing Board shall provide for the general welfare of the Union, and subject to the approval of the Board of Trustees shall exercise all powers not herein specifically assigned.

Sec. 3. The standing committees shall organize within one week of their election and shall serve until their successors have been elected. Each committee shall elect its own chairman and shall fill vacancies in its own membership until the next annual election; except that when only a minority of the committee remain, vacancies shall be filled at a special election by the Union.

Sect. 4. The Library Committee shall consist of seven members of whom, AT LEAST, there shall be graduates, to be elected at large by the Union. It shall appoint a librarian approved by the Trustees, who shall keep a catalogue of all books added to the Library by purchase or gift, and shall be responsible for their preservation in good order. The librarian may receive a salary which shall be fixed by the Trustees. The Committee shall determine what books are to be bought and what journals shall be subscribed for, and shall also have control over the pictures, statues, trophies and bric-a-brac in the Union. Four members shall constitute a quorum.

VI. Nominations and Elections.

Sect. 1. The Annual Election for President, Vice-President, Secretary, and the Standing Committees shall be held on the first Thursday in April.

Sect. 2. THE GOVERNING BOARD shall nominate two or more candidates for each office and each place on the committees to be elected at the Annual Election.

Sect. 3. Nominations shall be made and posted two weeks before the date of the election; but a belated nomination, if supported by the signature of fifty active members, WHO ARE STUDENTS IN HARVARD UNIVERSITY, may be inserted in the list up to within three days of election day. The election shall be by the Australian ballot, the polls being open from 8 A. M. to 4 P. M. on election day. The officers in charge of the polls shall be appointed by the President of the Union. There shall be no voting by proxy. ONLY ACTIVE MEMBERS WHO ARE STUDENTS IN HARVARD UNIVERSITY SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE. The persons receiving the greatest number of votes shall be declared elected. In case of a tie, another election for that office shall be held within five days.

VII. Membership.

Sect. 1. Active members. Any member or past member of Harvard University is eligible to active membership, upon his making application in writing to the TREASURER.

Sect. 2. Associate Members. Officers and past members of Harvard University residing within twenty-five miles of Cambridge, and students in the departments of the University located outside of Cambridge ARE ELIGIBLE MEMBERSHIP.

Sect. 3. Non-Resident Members. All members or past members of Harvard University residing more than twenty five miles from Cambridge ARE E LEGIBLE TO NON-RESIDENT MEMBERSHIP.

Sect. 4. Associate and Non-Resident Members shall enjoy all the privileges of the Union EXCEPT THE RIGHT TO VOTE.

Sect. 5. Life Members. Past members, all officers of Harvard University, AND STUDENTS REGISTERED IN GRADUATE DEPARTMENTS OF HARVARD UNIVERSITY ARE ELIGIBLE TO LIFE MEMBERSHIP on payment of fifty dollars; students REGISTERED IN UNDERGRADUATE DEPARTMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY on payment of seventy-five dollars. LIFE MEMBERS WHO ARE STUDENTS IN THE UNDERGRADUATE DEPARTMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE.

Sect. 6. Honorary Members. The Union may elect not more than ten honorary members, provided each candidate for honorary membership has received the approval of the Board of Trustees, of the GOVERNING BOARD, and of two thirds of the active members voting at a special meeting.

VIII. Dues.

Sect. 1. The annual dues for an active member shall not exceed ten dollars; for an associate member THE DUES SHALL NOT EXCEED THREE DOLLARS. THE EXACT AMOUNTS OF ALL ANNUAL DUES SHALL BE FIXED BY THE GOVERNING BOARD SUBJECT TO THE APPROVAL OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

*Sect. 2. Active, Associate and Non-Resident memberships shall expire two months after the end of the fiscal year for which dues were paid.

IX. Suspensions and Expulsions.

*Sect. 1. Before a member may be suspended or expelled, the Secretary shall be instructed by the President of the Union to send the member a copy of the charges preferred against him. At the request of this member, he shall have a hearing before the Governing Board. An affirmative vote of eight of the members of the Governing Board shall be necessary to expel or suspend him.

X. Meetings and Quorum.

Sect. 1. The Annual Meeting shall be held the first Thursday in April.

Sect. 2. Special meetings for a specific purpose shall be called by the President on the request of the GOVERNING BOARD, or at the request in writing of fifty active members.

Sect. 3. Except in cases of urgent need, the announcement of each meeting shall be posted on the bulletin board, and its object stated, one week in advance.

Sect. 4. For the ordinary transaction of business, FIFTY active members WHO ARE STUDENTS IN THE UNIVERSITY shall constitute a quorum.

XI. Amendments.

This constitution may be altered or amended by a majority vote of FIFTY ACTIVE members WHO ARE STUDENTS IN HARVARD UNIVERSITY present at two successive meetings, such meetings to be held not less than one week apart; notice of the first meeting, and its object, HAVING BEEN posted ten days in advance; provided, however, that the Board of Trustees shall concur in such alteration or amendment