1909 Basketball With Yale Tonight

The Freshman basketball team will play the Yale freshmen in the Gymnasium this evening at 8 o'clock. No accurate comparison of the teams can be made, but both have good records and a close game, therefore, is expected. Yale is strong, as they have won seven out of twelve games played, and have twice beaten the Columbia freshmen by decisive scores.

The Freshmen began the season with a small squad of rather inexperienced men, but through the hard work of the team and coach have developed unexpectedly well. Although not exceptionally strong in any one department of the game the team is equally good on the offensive and defensive and plays together well. In the last few games they have used signal formations on the toss-up with considerable success. All the men are in good condition, Allen having fully recovered from his sprained ankle.

The two forwards, Allen and Currie are accurate in throwing baskets and play together well. Allen is better on long shots, while Currie is steady and sure on short shots. Dial usually secures the ball on the toss-up and is a very accurate shot from close range, but is slightly inaccurate in passing. Deane and White are steady but rather slow, though Deane has been developing rapidly.

The line-up will probably be as follows: HARVARD 1909.  YALE 1909. Currie, r.f.  l.g., Cushman Allen, l.f.  r.g., Schoolfield Dial, c.  c., Van Vleck Deane, r.g.  l.f., Carrigan White, l.g.  r.f., Strowbridge

Admission tickets, at 50 cents, will be on sale at the door.