Harvard Defeated Columbia

The University gymnastic team defeated Columbia in the dual meet held last night in the Gymnasium by the score of 38 to 16. Harvard led from the start and won first place in every event except the flying rings. The work of the team was very creditable, but their success was partly due to the fact that Columbia had only eleven entries to their nineteen.

Capt. C. A. Woodbury '06 and G. F. Evans 1G. did the best work for Harvard, and should make a good showing in the intercollegiate meet. Woodbury won first place in the club swinging and on the parallel bars; Evans, first place on the horizontal bars and on the side horse. In this event P. R. Carpenter '07 also did well. Fleissner gained Columbia's only first place by his excellent performance on the flying rings; but Schoonmaker and Stewart both excelled him in general work.

The meet closed with a very clever exhibition of double tumbling by W. A. Boughton '07 and A. L. Pouleur '06, and by P. B. Olney 3L. and F. Viaux 2L. Their tricks were difficult and gained well deserved applause.

The judges were E. A. Blood, Everett Y. M. C. A.; W. P. Bradley, Malden Y. M. C. A.; C. H. Eberhard, B. A. A.; C. B. Lewis, Tufts; P. S. Page, Andover; and G. Sterr, Boston Turn Verein.

The summary:

Horizontal bar--Harvard, 8; Columbia, 1.

Parallel bars--Harvard, 6; Columbia, 3.

Side horse--Harvard, 8; Columbia, 1.

Flying rings--Harvard, 2; Columbia, 7.

Single tumbling--Harvard, 8; Columbia, 1.

Club swinging--Harvard, 6; Columbia, 3.