Yale Letter

Sixty-one men reported at the first call for hockey candidates last Monday. Since but seven of last year's squad are in college, the outlook for a championship team is not very bright. The work will consist of daily runs until the ice forms. The schedule of the hockey team, includes two practice games in New York before Christmas.

Of the 58 men in the university who are entitled to wear the university "Y," 23 have won their letter in football, 13 in baseball, 19 in track, and nine in crew. Shevlin is the only man who has won a "Y" in three branches of athletics, while three men have won the "Y" in two branches. The football team will lose six very valuable men by graduation: Captain Shevlin, Cates, Tripp, Flinn, Hoyt, and Hutchinson. The ends will be the hardest positions to fill. It is not known what coaching system will be followed next year, but it is hoped that Captain Shevlin may be obtained as head coach.

A thorough renovation of the cinder track, which was in poor condition, has been begun. The whole track will be dug up to depth of six inches, and when relaid should be one of the best tracks among the colleges. In the national cross country run for the senior championship of the A. A. U., at the Travers Island course Thursday, W. J. Hail, captain of the Yale cross country team, won first place. A. O. Friel 1909 finished sixth in the junior race.

The total student registration in the Sheffield Scientific School is 1144, an increase of 101 over last year's figures. Several now courses have been added to the curriculum of the Forest School of the university.