1906 FOOTBALL RULES

Finally Adopted by the American Intercollegiate Football Rules Committee.

The American Intercollegiate Football Rules Committee at a meeting held in New York Friday and Saturday finally adopted the revised rules for 1906, thus putting an end to all preliminary legislation in the matter. These rules were adopted just as they stood after the additions of the Friday and Saturday sessions, which are given below. There will be another meeting on April 14, when the rules will be ratified in their rearranged form. This, however, will be only a matter of form, for it was provided "that at the next meeting no changes be in order except (1) changes in wording, (2) the removal of inconsistencies, and (3) such other changes as may be allowed to come before the meeting by the unanimous consent of all the members present." The rules tentatively adopted at previous sessions and finally passed on Friday and Saturday have already been published in the CRIMSON.

Following is a summary of the most important new points considered and adopted on Friday and Saturday: In measuring, the forward point of the ball will be the determining point. The mark of the fair catch will be considered as on the spot where the ball is actually caught. There is some ambiguity to this rule since the man making the catch is allowed two steps. This is one of the points left to be corrected by the sub-committee on editing the rules. The committee provided that if a player is out of bounds when the ball is put in play, it shall be brought back and played over again without penalty. When the ball goes out of bounds the player may bring it in any distance from five to fifteen yards, but must put it down under the direction of the referee.

In explanation of the forward pass it was voted that a forward pass that goes on the fly over the goal line is a touchback to the defending side, and a kick that goes over the goal line on the fly or after striking the ground before being touched by a player of either side shall go as a touchback to the defending side. Place or drop kicks over the crossbar, and kickoffs which are run in, are exceptions to this rule. Tripping was defined as obstructing a player with the foot or leg. It was decided that a foul tackle shall not be called if the tackler's arms slip below the knees after making the tackle properly