UNIVERSITY AND 1909 CREWS

Final Preparation for Cornell Race Begins.--Improvement Shown.

This week the University crew commenced the final period of training for the race with Cornell on May 25. After a rest of eight days the squad of 22 men reported at the training table which was started Monday at 69 1-2 Mt. Auburn street.

The work was light on Monday and Tuesday, but became harder on Wednesday: and on Thursday the men had the hardest row they have had this season. After rowing from the University boat-house down stream as far as the Union Boat Club with only one stop of a minute at the Longwood bridge, the crew returned, rowing in long stretches all the way up stream. The men stood the hard work very well and were in excellent condition, when they reached the boathouse. They rowed fairly well, but at times the boat rolled somewhat. Filley put the stroke up to 32 for the last few hundred yards of the row down stream and the men followed him better than they have on a spurt at any time this spring.

Yesterday the work was lighter than Thursday. The crew rowed down stream about a quarter of a mile below the Harvard bridge and returned to the University boathouse in short stretches. The rowing was an improvement upon the day before, as the boat was on an even keel most of the time, and spaced well, making as much as seven feet each stroke for some distance on the way up stream.

Although Newhall at number 7 was slow in getting his hands away from his body on the recovery at times, he pulled a strong oar with a powerful leg drive. Tappan at 2 rowed in clean form, as did. Flint at bow, but Glass, who rowed 4, showed a tendency to list to the port side of the boat and R. Bacon at number 6 was somewhat ragged in his blade work, especially at the finish of his stroke.

The University second crew, although beaten in a race with the Freshman crew on Thursday, rowed well yesterday. The men rowed down stream to the Harvard bridge in five stretches and returned to the University boathouse without a stop on the way up stream. Special attention was given by Coach Wray in instructing the men about the finish of their strokes.

Last Tuesday Gill and Warren, who had been rowing 4 and 3 respectively changed positions. This change returns Gill to the starboard side of the boat, where he rowed at 7 and 3 until April 1, when he was moved to 4. Last spring Gill rowed 2 on the University four-oar. This was on the starboard side of the boat, as there was a starboard stroke. Warren rowed number 5 on the Freshman crew last spring and has been at 3 in the second boat most of this season.

The orders yesterday were as follows:

University crew--Stroke, Filley; 7, Newhall; 6, R. Bacon; 5, Richardson; 4, Glass; 3, Tappan; 2, Fish; bow, Flint; cox., Whitney.

Second crew--Stroke, Morgan; 7, Emmons; 6, Richards; 5, Corbett; 4, Warren: 3, Gill; 2, G. Bacon; bow, Wiggins; cox., Whitney.

The University and second crews will row at 3 o'clock this afternoon. This will be the first Saturday that the University crew squad has rowed this season.

Freshman Crew Work.

The only crews to practice during the recess were the first two Freshman eights, who went out during the first three days. Usually they rowed up stream in the morning as far as the Brighton bridge, and in the afternoon rowed down into the basin. On Wednesday the two crews were given a hard race over the course, which they covered in satisfactory time.

Last Monday the third crew was called out again and has been practicing regularly, as well as the first and second eights. Thursday the first crew was given a trial race against the University second crew over the regular course. The Freshmen, who had a start of two lengths, increased it to three and a half at the finish. The men rushed their slides badly, a fault which was still evident yesterday.

Practice yesterday consisted of a row in short stretches by fours up stream. The blade work was excellent, but several of the men were in bad form. E. Cutler at bow failed to sit up firmly at the finish, and Faulkner at number 5 and Ellis at 3 cut their stroke short.

The orders:

First crew--Stroke, J. Cutler; 7, Rackemann; 6, Severance; 5, Faulkner; 4, Crandall; 3, Ellis; 2, Wentworth; bow, E. Cutler; cox., Wise.

Second crew--Stroke, Butler; 7, Wood; 6, Fitzgerald; 5, Hanfstaengl; 4, Mulligan; 3, Crowell; 2, Kelley; bow, Williams; cox., Galatti.