Arrangements for the "Agamemnon"

Rehearsals for the "Agamemnon" of Aeschylus, the Greek play which will be presented in the Stadium on June 16 and 19 by the Classical Department, have been held weekly since October, including the April recess. From now on rehearsals will be held two or three times a week. Up to the present date the actors have devoted their attention chiefly to instruction in their parts by Professors Smyth and Harris, and will shortly be trained as well in dramatic action and in voice-development, respectively, by Mr. A. S. Hills '00 and Mr. B. G. Willard, instructors in public speaking.

The members of the chorus have been rehearsing regularly since the latter part of March, and will continue to rehearse once or twice a week under the direction of Mr. Willard. It is hoped that the back-scene will be set up in the Stadium within three weeks, enabling both actors and chorus to practice out of doors.

The handling of the costumes is in charge of Professor Gulick, who spent Thursday and Friday in New York in order to give final directions for the costumes and properties, which will be entirely new. Owing to the care necessary in accurately reproducing the equipments of the ancient Greeks, and especially such properties as helmets, breastplates and weapons, the orders have been placed with a well-known property maker. Mr. A. P. Keith '01, who was of material assistance in the production of scenes from Aristophanes "Birds" by the Classical Club in 1901, has again given valuable advice to the Greek Department.

The arrangement of the color-scheme has been intrusted to Mr. Joseph Lindon Smith, who has made some unusual experiments in coloring antique statuary. In the "Agamemnon" the varied apparel of captives and body-guards attendant on a victorious army will afford ample opportunity for an extensive display of brilliant hues.

The libretto, a Greek text with an English translation, by Professor Goodwin, will be placed on sale in about a fortnight.