HARVARD, 9; VERMONT, 4

Baseball Team Plays Ragged Game.-Five Runs Scored in Eighth Inning.

The University baseball nine won its first game of the season by defeating the University of Vermont in a raggedly played game yesterday afternoon by a score of 9 to 4. Although the fielding of the team was crude, and the base-running at times stupid, on the whole the work accomplished was promising; for despite the many careless errors the men played with dash and determination.

In his new position at first base McCarty played a steady game, and seldom missed a difficult catch. At second McCall played with confidence. Simons at shortstop was nervous and unreliable, but gained in this respect toward the end of the game. Stephenson and Leonard were in their old positions at catcher and third base, and both played steady games. Castle, who took Taylor's place as pitcher in the sixth inning, kept the hits fairly well scattered, and struck out five men. Taylor who preceded him was batted hard. The inexperience of the outfield was very evident at times by their inability to judge flies.

Up to the eighth inning neither side was able to gain any decided lead, errors and hits being equally numerous and scattered. When Harvard came to the bat in the first half of the eighth inning the score stood 4 to 3 in her favor, and it was already too dark to permit of accurate work by the infield. Hellmann was thrown out at first, but McCarty secured first on Peck's error at centre field. Dexter then singled, advancing McCarty one base. The latter reached third on a passed ball by Kibbey, and scored on Castle's single. Dexter was put out stealing home. Castle was advanced to third on Leonard's single, and scored on Simons's hit. McCall sent Leonard home, and Kibbey in an attempt to catch Simons at third threw wild, allowing Simons and McCall to come in. In the last inning Vermont scored one more run, as the University team, which had a good lead played safe to first.

The summary: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Leonard, 3b.  4  1  1  2  1  0 Simons, s.s.  5  1  1  2  2  1 McCall, 2b.  5  1  3  3  3  0 Stephenson, c.  4  0  0  9  1  1 Pounds, r.f.  3  2  0  1  0  0 Hellmann, c.f.  3  1  1  1  0  1 McCarty, 1b.  4  1  1  9  0  0 Dexter, l.f.  3  1  3  0  1  0 Taylor, p.  2  0  0  0  1  0 Castle, p.  2  1  1  0  0  0 Totals,  35  9  11  27  9  3 VERMONT.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Gardner, r.f.  5  0  2  2  0  0 Collison, 2b.  2  1  0  1  2  1 Campbell, p.  4  0  0  0  4  0 Woodward, l.f.  3  1  2  2  0  0 Peck, c.f.  4  0  1  1  0  1 Whitney, 1b.  4  0  2  11  0  1 Kibbey, c.  3  1  1  4  3  1 Grow, 3b.  4  0  0  0  0  2 Williams, s.s.  4  1  1  3  4  0 Totals,  33  4  9  24  10  6

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9Harvard,  0  0  1  2  0  1  0  5  -9Vermont,  1  0  0  1  1  0  0  0  1-