COMPARATIVE LITERATURE

Twenty-Seven Courses Offered for Graduates and Undergraduates.

The announcement of the Department of Comparative Literature, which was recently organized within the Division of Modern Languages, will be issued by the chairman, Professor W. H. Schofield p.'95, in about a fortnight.

In all 27 courses are announced--14 primarily for graduates, 12 for undergraduates and graduates, and one primarily for undergraduates. In addition ten courses of special study are offered in which opportunties will be afforded to competent graduate students, for original investigations in special topics, not covered by regular courses in the department under the guidance of instructors.

The list of instructors in Comparative Literature includes 14 professors, five assistant professors, four instructors and an assistant. The Classics are represented by Professors J. W. White p.'77, H. W. Smyth '78, M. H. Morgan '81, W. F. Harris '91, and E. K. Rand '94; Semitic literature by Professor G. F. Moore; the literature of India by Professor C. R. Lanman; Romance literatures by Professors E. S. Sheldon '72, C. H. Grandgent '83, I. Babbitt '89, and J. D. M. Ford '94; German literature by Professor J. A. Walz p.'95; and English literature by Professors B. Wendell '77, G. L. Kittredge '82, G. P. Baker '87, F. N. Robinson '91 and B. Perry.

The undergraduate courses treat first with Greek and Latin works, trace the later history of classical culture, indicate the origin and development of vernacular literatures in the Middle Ages, discuss the literary forces powerful in the Renaissance, and show under what influences in recent times writings in various countries have been produced. The most important of the undergraduate courses will be the introductory course, which will be given by Professor B. Wendell and will provide a general survey of European literature.

The courses primarily for graduates are of two kinds, some on special types of literature and some on the relations of literature in different countries of the same era.

The significance of the new program of courses in Comparative Literature lies chiefly in its revelation of the fact that a great deal of liberal and illuminating study of literature at present exists at Harvard, which has not hitherto been as conspicuous as it should have been, because it has never before been brought together in one place or clearly co-ordinated.