CREW WORK AT NEW LONDON

All Four Eights on the Water.--University and Freshmen Race Two-Miles.

RED TOP, June 14, 1906--The University crew defeated the Freshman eight on the Thames this afternoon by a length and a quarter in a two-mile race down stream, covering the distance in 11 minutes, 2 2-5 seconds. The Freshmen caught the water first, but at the first half-mile flag the University boat had gained half a length. With a 32 stroke, this lead was increased to a length at the end of a mile. In the third half-mile the Freshmen were rowing 34 strokes to the minute, while the University crew, raising this by two points, was unable to gain. In the spurt, however, the University eight gained a quarter of a length, winning by a length and a quarter.

The University crew rowed vigorously, but at times showed a tendency to shorten the stroke. Aided by the tide, however, the boat spaced well against a strong head wind. The Freshman boat ran smoothly until the last half mile, when Mulligan seemed to lose control of his oar. Severance, at 5, caught a crab about three-quarters of a mile from the finish, and Rackemann, at 3, jumped his slide in the spurt. A slight change was made in the make-up of the Freshman eight. Mulligan returned to number 4, from which position he was yesterday changed to 2 in the four-oar; Crandall was moved from 4 to 2, while Cutler was changed from 2 in the eight-oar to a corresponding position on the four. In the morning the work was a light nature, Wray coaching the University and Freshman eights from his single shell.

Each of the four-oar crews was given a six-mile row today. The University four-oar went well, but the work of the Freshmen was ragged.

The course over which the crews will race on June 28 was staked out today by H. C. Beckwith, inspector of customs, at New London, V. Chappell of Yale, and C. H. Schweppe '02, chairman of the regatta committee. The start of the course has been shifted considerably, the first mile flag being 100 feet west of its usual position. In order to avoid a large bunch of eel-grass, which has previously impeded the crews, the mile and a half flag has been shifted 200 feet farther west. This change will make a turn in the course unavoidable.