Athletics Since Class Day

The New London Races.

At New London on Thursday afternoon, June 28, the University crew defeated Yale by two and three quarters boat lengths, covering the four miles in 23 minutes and 10 seconds in the annual dual regatta. Yale won the Freshman and University four-oar races in the morning.

The University crew won the eight oared race on account of superior endurance, and the ability of the men to keep well together throughout and follow a fast stroke in the spurt. Because of their lack of endurance the Yale crew could not back up their stroke, when he tried to quicken his pace in the last half-mile.

At the start, at 4.08 o'clock, the Yale crew gained a slight advantage with a little the faster stroke, but at the end of the first half-mile the University crew led by a few feet. The men in both boats were rowing well and the splashing so pronounced in the first few strokes gave way to clean blade work. In the second half-mile Yale overcame Harvard's lead and was 1 second ahead at the mile flag. By the time that the 1 1-2 mile flag was reached the University crew, with a slow stroke, was rowing neck and neck with Yale. At about this point, Weeks, the Yale bow, lost the rhythm of his stroke, cutting short at the full reach and rushing his slide on the recovery. At the 2-mile flag, however, he was rowing better.

Between the 1 1-2 mile and 2-mile flags the University crew pulled a little ahead, and off the Navy Yard, the middle of the race, was a second ahead again. This lead was maintained unchanged for the next 1 1-2 miles, despite the repeated attempts of the Yale crew to gain. The last half-mile was commenced with the University crew leading by about 15 feet. Every man in the boat was swinging true and rowing in the best of form. Yale, on the other hand, appeared to be a little tired. Noyes at 6 was lunging with his blade at the catch, and Morse, 3, and Weeks, bow, were also out of time on the recovery. Gradually the University shell forged ahead. Filley raised his stroke and every man in the boat kept with him, even at 36 in the last few lengths. The whole Harvard crew finished strong, crossing the line a winner by almost two lengths of open water. The time was 23 minutes and 2 seconds. In the Yale boat, Noyes, 6, was forced by exhaustion to stop rowing before the line was crossed.

As a whole, the Harvard crew rowed better than at any other time on the Thames. The physical condition of the men was excellent and the form clean throughout. The race was actually won between the 2-mile and 3 1-2 mile flags. In this part of the distance Filley, by cool headwork, maintained his lead and a steady stroke, while the Yale men were themselves out trying to overcome Harvard's lead.

The Freshman Race.

The race between the Freshman crews which was won by Yale by three-quarters of a boat length was the closest race of the day. The Yale crew covered the two miles up stream from the railroad bridge to the Navy Yard in 10 minutes, 39 2-5 seconds--one and three-fifths seconds ahead of the Harvard Freshmen.

The race was very closely contested throughout and the lead alternated between the two crews, although the Harvard Freshmen maintained the higher stroke throughout the race. The Harvard Freshmen made a very creditable showing, and rowed well as a whole. The Yale crew finished fresher and seemed to put the greater amount of life into its rowing toward the end of the race.

University Four-Oar Race.

The University four-oared race was won by Yale by at least 10 boat lengths. For the first quarter mile the shells kept on even terms, but after that Yale steadily pulled away. There was no perceptible trouble in the University crew. The men kept well together and held a steady stroke. The Yale crew did not row in any the smoother form, but was physically more powerful. Yale's time was 11 minutes, 46 3-5 seconds.

Summary of the Races.

FOUR-MILE RACE FOR UNIVERSITY EIGHT- OARED CREWS.--Won by Harvard. Time: Harvard, 23 min., 2 sec.; Yale, 23 min., 11 sec.

TWO-MILE RACE FOR FRESHMAN CREWS.--Won by Yale Freshmen. Time: Yale Freshmen, 10 min., 39 2-5 sec.; Harvard Freshmen, 10 min., 41 sec.

TWO-MILE RACE FOR UNIVERSITY FOUR-OARED CREWS. Won by Yale. Time: Yale, 11 min., 46 3-5 sec.; Harvard, 12 min., 14 sec.

OFFICIALS.--Referee--G. Richards, Columbia. Judges at finish--H. Auchincloss, Yale, D. Downs '03.

Orders of the Crews.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY EIGHT.--Stroke, Filley; 7, Newhall; 6, Bacon; 5, Richardson; 4, Glass; 3, Morgan; 2, Fish; bow, Tappan; cox., Blagden.

YALE UNIVERSITY EIGHT.--Stroke, Boulton; 7, Ide; 6, Noyes; 5, Chase; 4, Bigelow; 3, Morse; 2, Graham; bow, Weeks; cox., Barkalow.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY FOUR-OAR.--Stroke, Ball; 3, Emmons; 2, Swaim; bow, Gill; cox., Arnold.

YALE UNIVERSITY FOUR-OAR.--Stroke, Schunemann; 3, Williams; 2, Harris; bow, Rockwell; cox., Holmes.

HARVARD FRESHMAN CREW.--Stroke, Reece; 7, Faulkner; 6, Lunt; 5, Severance; 4, Mulligan; 3, Rackemann; 2, Crandall; bow, Ellis; cox., Wise.

YALE FRESHMAN CREW.--Stroke, Mayer; 7, Dunkle; 6, Howe; 5, Peyton; 4, Brooks; 3, Rice; 2, Robbins; bow, Dominick; cox., Rand.

Other Races at New London.

Harvard easily won the half-mile race for "gentleman's" eights and Yale won the one-mile for freshman four-oared crews by a quarter of a length.

Bacon Elected Captain of the Crew.

After the race Robert Low Bacon '07 of New York City was elected captain of the University crew for 1906-07. Bacon prepared for College at Groton School, where he rowed on a club crew for three years. He was captain and rowed number 4 on the 1907 Freshman crew, rowed on the University four-oar in the American Henley at Philadelphia in May, 1905, and rowed 6 on the University eight against Yale the following month. He also rowed number 6 against Cornell, Yale, and Cambridge during the past season.

The Final Yale Baseball Game.

The University baseball team lost the second and deciding game of the Yale series, played at New Haven on June 26, by a score of 3 to 2. Castle pitched effectively and kept Yale's hits well scattered, but his work could not compensate for the team's weakness at the bat. The Harvard players made but four hits against their opponents' eight. In spite of the poor hitting ten innings were required to decide the game, for Stephenson's drive in the seventh inning with two men on bases brought in two runs and tied the score. Jackson won the game for Yale by a long, clean drive in the tenth.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Leonard, 3b.  4  0  1  4  5  1Stephenson, c.f., c.  3  0  1  3  0  0Dexter, l.f.  5  0  0  3  0  0Pounds, r.f.  5  0  0  0  0  0Currier, c.  1  0  0  2  1  1Harvey, c.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Burr, 1b.  4  0  0  13  0  0Simons, s.s.  3  0  0  3  1  0McCall, 2b.  2  1  2  1  8  1Castle, p.  4  1  0  0  2  0Totals,  34  2  4  29  17  3YALE.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.O'Brien, s.s.  4  0  1  2  4  1Huiskamp, r.f.  4  0  1  1  0  0Kinney, 3b.  5  1  0  4  4  0Smith, c.f.  5  0  0  4  2  0Jackson, 1b.  4  0  3  12  0  2Madden, l.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0Camp, 2b.  4  0  1  1  3  2Jones, c.  4  2  1  5  0  0Paisons, p.  4  0  1  1  4  0Totals,  38  3  8  30  17