Report of Carnegie Foundation

The first annual report of the Carnegie Foundation for the advancement of learning states that the pension list of the institution is now $122,130. Eighty-eight professors, only forty-five of whom were in institutions eligible to the fund, have been retired on pensions. Eight widows of professors have been pensioned. A retiring professor who has a small salary gets a proportionately larger pension than one on a larger salary. The pensions vary from $800 to $2000 and average $1552 to those in accepted institutions; $1302 to individual professors and $833 to widows. The trustees of the Foundation have excluded the University of Chicago and Brown University from the fund on the ground that they are denominational institutions in the sense covered by Mr. Carnegie's deed of gift.

The list of "accepted institutions" now includes Amherst, Beloit, Carleton College, Case School of Applied Sciences, Clark University, Colorado College, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, George Washington University, Hamilton, Harvard, Hobart, Johns Hopkins, Iowa College, Lehigh, Leland Stanford, Jr., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mount Holyoke College, New York University, Oberlin, Princeton, Radcliffe, Smith, Trinity College, Tufts, Union, University of Pennsylvania, University of Vermont, Vassar. Wabash College, Washington and Jefferson College, Wellesley, Wells College, Williams, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Western University of Pennsylvania and Yale.