HARVARD WON EASY GAME

Hockey Team Outplayed Columbia in All Departments.--Score, 7 to 0.

The University hockey team won its first game of the intercollegiate series by defeating Columbia last Saturday evening in New York by a score of 7 to 0. The showing of the University team was a great improvement over any of its former work, and Columbia was outplayed at every department of the game. After the first few minutes of play the team seemed to improve rapidly in effective team work until Columbia was almost powerless to check the attack. Individual playing of Pell and Newhall, and the team play of the offense were the features of the game.

A few minutes after the first half began Foster, taking the puck from a Columbia forward, rushed it down the ice and shot past the entire Columbia defense into the net. Shortly after Pell scored on a pass from Newhall. Then followed a determined effort on the part of the Columbia forwards to keep the puck in Harvard's territory. They lacked team play, however, and their individual rushes were easily stopped by the Harvard defence. The few chances that Columbia had to score were lost by weak and inaccurate shooting. Toward the end of the half the University forwards renewed their attack, and in a scrimmage in front of the Columbia goal Townsend made the last tally of the period, which ended with the score of 3 to 0 in Harvard's favor.

In less than a minute after the second half began Newhall scored on a pass from Townsend. After several minutes of hard playing the latter carried the puck down the ice and scored unaided. Columbia then made another determined effort to score, but the University forwards finally gained possession of the puck and rushed it into a scrimmage from which Newhall shot a goal. The last score of the game was made by Newhall after some clever stickwork on his part.

The summary follows: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Pell, l.e.  r.e., J. Mackenzie Townsend, l.c.  r.c., Armstrong Leonard, Rumsey, Paine, r.c.  l.c., King Newhall, r.e.  l.e., G. Mackenzie Foster, Briggs, c.p.  c.p., Jackson Willetts, p.  p., Dederer Carpenter, g.  g., Easton

Score--Harvard, 7; Columbia, 0. Goals--Newhall 3, Townsend 2, Foster, Pell. Referees--C. Hitchcock, Yale, and R. Leake, Princeton. Time--20-minute halves.